Little bird point.

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obsidian from Napa, Ca.

I'm thinking it's a Rattlesnake Side-notch, maybe.

20190901_133701.jpg

20190901_133720.jpg

Shame it's missing the tip. Still nice though.

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it would be considered a "Stemmed" point rather than side-notched. Side-notched means a prepared, somewhat ovate, bi-faced preform was notched from its lower sides to create a hafting area.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your point has the shape of a Borax Lake maybe a small variant your in the right area .

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it would be considered a "Stemmed" point rather than side-notched. Side-notched means a prepared, somewhat ovate, bi-faced preform was notched from its lower sides to create a hafting area.

Ok, yes. I see what you mean. Thanks for taking the time to explain the distinction.

Far more exciting if it could a Borax Lake anyway.

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your point has the shape of a Borax Lake maybe a small variant your in the right area .

I would be thrilled if this point was Borax Lake but I had assumed it was a 'true arrow' as it's quite small and so too young for Borax Lake.

But you are right that I'm not far from there and have aways dreamed of finding something.

Trouble is projectilepoint.net has minimum length as 30mm and my point is only 26mm. Though it is missing it's tip, it's still undersized.

However, this point is made of the greyer, more translucent obsidian that I believe comes from Clear Lake area (including Borax Lake) so maybe...just maybe.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find thats a good score

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
projectilepoint.net has minimum length as 30mm and my point is only 26mm. Though it is missing it's tip, it's still undersized.
Although PPN is a good resource, it is not the final authority. I've never been complacent with any artifact I've picked up and had doubt about it's place on the timeline.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread