What's new

Little Red School House

Alchemist

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2014
Messages
364
Reaction score
642
Golden Thread
0
Location
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, after countless visits to a pre-1900 decommissioned school house, I have finally finish the site. I came away with some goodie silver items, a few time pieces, a couple dud rings, about 20 wheat pennies (oldest 1910), some $17 in clad and (as expected) a few children's nick-knack items. There are a few items I can't identify (the sterling sheild, joker emblem, deco screw top, etc). Maybe you can? The pocket watch item was particularly cool to find, but it had no innards. :sad10: Happy hunting all.

The School:
red.webp

The catch:
DSC07097.webpDSC07102.webpDSC07099.webpDSC07100.webpDSC07101.webp
 
Upvote 41
Wow, that school was certainly a great place to search.looks kike you have located a virgin site there.Nice sterling shield pin.
 
Congrats on your success following intensive detecting! The silver shield is one of the nicest & most intriguing items I've seen on t-net! Andi
 
That's a nice pile of goodies . You have some nice finds there , the thing that caught my eye was the little bling owl . He looks so bright and happy sitting there 8-)
 
Congratz! I love that type of location where you not only pull clad and silver, but also all kinds of nick nacks!
 
I must challenge this statement, period. No you have not!

I don't care if you detect there for years, you haven't finished the site.

I suggest on your return you walk your path perpendicular to your first searches, and then later pick spots to grid it out.

Another concern would be whether you used the Pioneer 202 on any parts of the grounds. It appears the 202 uses a concentric coil versus a DD. The impact of that is that the signal sent into the ground is cone shaped - the deeper you go, the smaller the signal. It would be extremely easy to miss targets at depth. A DD coil sends a full width signal into the ground regardless of depth - so you cover a heck of a lot more territory.

View attachment 1220154 View attachment 1220155

Go back! Go back!

I was using my BH Platinum with the 11" DD coil. Yes, I could go back and run a perpendicular path to my previous searches, but I'd be digging nearly all iffy signals. In fact, I did just that prior to completing this go around, hitting certain areas twice that I felt needed it. Could I find more there? Perhaps...probably...IDK. I do appreciate your philosophy, though. Thank you.
 
Was that a permission sight? I've never gone there thinking it was private or at the time used a daycare. Again great work.....

Yes, indeed, permission granted. The owner is next door. Business man of some sort. I don't dig without minding my limits and permissions...good for the cause, you know :icon_thumleft:

Hope to see you around. I now need to make another fresh post!
 
Well, after countless visits to a pre-1900 decommissioned school house, I have finally finish the site. I came away with some goodie silver items, a few time pieces, a couple dud rings, about 20 wheat pennies

Those are great finds.
I love that sterling shield!
Cannot imagine how all that clad gets on all these old schoolhouse properties?
 
Yes, indeed, permission granted. The owner is next door. Business man of some sort. I don't dig without minding my limits and permissions...good for the cause, you know :icon_thumleft:

Hope to see you around. I now need to make another fresh post!

Same goes for me, that's why good places are getting rare in our town. Keep up the posts like seeing your success.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom