Lobo- modification?, coil?

moonlighter

Feb 14, 2008
Baton Rouge (Central), LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
This weekend I saw a Lobo in a pawn shop (229) about 1 hr away. Not realizing the value of it I came home. After checking the value (600-700) and specs I got interested and called back this morning. The mgr said it had connections for 2 9v batteries and a sea/c? coil (oval shape) for salt water on it, also would let it go for 160. I called Tesorso and the very helpful lady said it was probably modified as factory Lobo have 2 4cell AA battery packs.
Is this a standard modification? What would the coil be, there is not one on the Tesoro site like this?
Any suggestions? Would a trip back be worth it?
I have a BH Land Star and get very confused getting it setup. Lots of false signals when searching.
Thanks

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Make sure it is a Lobo Super Track, The older Lobo is not worth over $200.00 tops IMO. All Lobos come with a eliptical coil. Don't know about the batt conversion, sounds like the wrong voltage to me.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
I spoke to Tesoro about changing my LST from a bunch of batteries to a 9V set up I was told flat out NO!! This was from the "biggies" at a gold show . Something about the voltage structure . BTW , I would LOVE to change it .

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My LST will work from 2 x 9 volt batts but not for long: don't bother wasting time fitting them.
As for the water coil, it has got to be a one off by a home builder and likely as not will not be much good. The price is dead cheap for a LST, if it works grab it.

Adrian SS

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Lobo can be brought back to specs at Tesoro. As it is it isn't worth the 160 and you may have added costs to fix. though Tesoro has done a lot of work for free. Good luck if you decide to buy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread