Local find - Deer and Axe coin

Project12

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help identifying, and verifying. From someone who does cleanouts in the Connecticut area.

77725.jpeg77727.jpeg77770.jpeg77768.jpeg77769.jpeg

if it were the real deal it would be rare as hens teeth....Higley. These are faked and fool lots of people though.

Upvote 0
"VALUE ME AS YOU PLEASE" with a deer on one side.

"CUT MY WAY THROUGH" with an ax on the other side.

Upvote 0
I suppose getting a fake is what I am trying to avoid. The fellow with the coin claims he clears out estates and properties in Connecticut and Westchester.

Upvote 0
It would worry me some that the deer side is much crisper than the axe side which shows heavy wear. I think this is too good to be true but I hope it is real and worth several figures but I have my doubts. These have been posted here before and experts will certainly chime in for better or worse. I am sure he will give you a good deal....... better have authentication on that one.

Upvote 0
I have until tomorrow afternoon to grab it from him, claims to have many offers for it - but I was first to respond, I replied seconds after his post went up by chance.

Is it worth a 2 hour commute to see the coin and look for any telltale signs?

He is asking for a very reasonable amount, if it is the real deal. So much so, I am almost positive he is unaware of what it is. If it is an older reproduction - I dont think it was purposely aged. He tried to sell it to me, along with a bunch of wrestling action figures, and other nonsense one would find in an attic.

Upvote 0
Thanks for saving me 200 dollars.

Are there any other particular pictures I should ask for, just in case?

Upvote 0
This is posted twice. Both threads have been successfully identified as fakes

Upvote 0
I have until tomorrow afternoon to grab it from him, claims to have many offers for it - but I was first to respond, I replied seconds after his post went up by chance.

He is asking for a very reasonable amount, if it is the real deal. So much so, I am almost positive he is unaware of what it is. If it is an older reproduction - I dont think it was purposely aged. He tried to sell it to me, along with a bunch of wrestling action figures, and other nonsense one would find in an attic.

Having just read what you posted above, this raises a number of red flags in my mind. :icon_scratch:
The wear on the coin doesn't look constant with having been handled for 150 years.
Looks almost like it's been 'tumbled', looks like it was found in a creek showing signs of having been worn by tumbling in sand and rocks.

When I have coins with a lot of corrosion on them from the ground, I put them in my tumbler and they come out looking like this token.

Hope it turns out to be the real deal for you,
Dave

Upvote 0

if he is asking a reasonable amount...it is fake and he knows it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back