Lookin for new turf, and BINGO.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting buddy Rick was off yesterday digging solo while I was many miles away helping a buddy learn the ropes. It was as to be expected the newbie gets the find of the day. A beautiful 18th cent. shoe buckle frame (sorry no pix). Then I dug a hole that turned up 4 crusty coppers all the same size and only one had any detail left on it but I was able to ID it as an NS half penny and by the condition I would say they were counterfeits, they just seemed to be too thin and baddly worn. I also got up one KG III crusty copper and a new penny and quarter.
Today Rick and I secured some new fields and have prospects on more. I scored a key date 1903 silver dime as well as 3 Canadian LCs, 1880; 1896 & 1911. The 1911 one was funny because Rick got one today as well. Also the ussual suspects appeard, squat musket ball, broken spigot, button and buckles.
20141002_171733.jpg 20141002_184847.jpg
20141002_183715.jpg 20141002_183636.jpg

HH everyone,
ZDD

Upvote 11

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score on the Edward dime Dave. Edwards don't along very often, and you got the key to the series in much better than average condition to boot.

Just got my pics done will post up my finds soon.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
New sites are always it's of fun; and it's always another place to search when other places dry up

I'm looking forward to trying some new places!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice.

Nothing like finding out your new turf is a sweet spot.

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs! Congrats on the sweet spot!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Dave. Are counterfeits usually quite a bit thinner? Last fall I found a very thin plow-bent copper disk a little smaller in diameter than a KG or LC with absolutely no detail. I fished it out of my finds a couple months ago to see if maybe it was a dandy button but there isn't a solder mark evident.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silver, and diggings lc's are always fun. Good luck on the new lands, hope they produce something that throws it up on the header.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Dave. Are counterfeits usually quite a bit thinner? Last fall I found a very thin plow-bent copper disk a little smaller in diameter than a KG or LC with absolutely no detail. I fished it out of my finds a couple months ago to see if maybe it was a dandy button but there isn't a solder mark evident.
Well I'm now expert on coins that's for sure but most of the NS halfs that I have dug are in much better shape then these which lead me to believe that they were lower quality and under weight. The coins you have may be some kind of trade token and didn't stand up very well either.
ZDD

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a lot of coppers Dave. Good to see you guys getting out regularly and securing new spots. I went to hit a small 1600s spot today but since Monday they dug up the peanuts, let them dry, picked them up, baled and removed the stubble, and planted wheat. So unfortunately the very small window for hitting this site has closed. Back to the drawing board I guess.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those farmers don't waste a minute, do they? Our plan a was an onion field with a CH in it, but when we got there the the crews were fixing their harvester so we couldn't do that site. Rick and I went freestyling then, checking for the cut fields and then trying to find the owners. Our fav. fields are still in crop right now so we are watching them closely.
Good luck Bill,
ZDD

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds Dave! :occasion14:
Congrats on the '03 Dime, looks in decent shape too!

I too am waiting impatiently for the crops to come out on a 1/2 dozen fields! :laughing7:
Dave

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Dave! :occasion14:
Congrats on the '03 Dime, looks in decent shape too!

I too am waiting impatiently for the crops to come out on a 1/2 dozen fields! :laughing7:
Dave
I don't think we are going to have much time between harvest and frost so you best be on your toes there Dave.
Good luck,
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread