Looking at coil upgrade for Omega 8000...

Riches in Michigan

Sep 10, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who can advise me in a coil upgrade for my Omega.
Currently using the 10" elliptical coil that came with it. This is not the DD but a concentric coil.
I like this detector a lot and and am looking to further increase my capabilities (depth and detection) with a new coil.
Would like to know about your experiences with NEL or any coil changes you guys have done.

Looking forward to you response!

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who can advise me in a coil upgrade for my Omega.
Currently using the 10" elliptical coil that came with it. This is not the DD but a concentric coil.
I like this detector a lot and and am looking to further increase my capabilities (depth and detection) with a new coil.
Would like to know about your experiences with NEL or any coil changes you guys have done.

Looking forward to you response!

I think allot depends on your soil, if your Omega ground balances above 70 frequently consider the 11" DD. Also if you have sandy loamy soil where things sink deep also consider the 11" DD, especially of you are after deep relics or coins. The 11DD goes quite deep with the Delta, Gamma, Omega. The 11DD however has some issues discriminating ferrous round objects like bottle caps. This can easily be worked around though.Me frankly i was happy with the depth of the 8" and the 10" concentrics when i had an Omega. If i were you i would get the 5" DD for trashy sites as it takes full advantage of the Omegas masking abilities and it goes pretty darn deep for a 5". The combination of a 11DD or 10" Con coupled with a 5" DD means you can hunt anywhere you wish without fear of missing anything.

Teknetics 5 DD Search Coil (Greek Series / G2)- Kellyco

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think allot depends on your soil, if your Omega ground balances above 70 frequently consider the 11" DD. Also if you have sandy loamy soil where things sink deep also consider the 11" DD, especially of you are after deep relics or coins. The 11DD goes quite deep with the Delta, Gamma, Omega. The 11DD however has some issues discriminating ferrous round objects like bottle caps. This can easily be worked around though.Me frankly i was happy with the depth of the 8" and the 10" concentrics when i had an Omega. If i were you i would get the 5" DD for trashy sites as it takes full advantage of the Omegas masking abilities and it goes pretty darn deep for a 5". The combination of a 11DD or 10" Con coupled with a 5" DD means you can hunt anywhere you wish without fear of missing anything.

Teknetics 5 DD Search Coil (Greek Series / G2)- Kellyco

I second the opinion on the 5" DD. I'm currently using the NEL Sharp 5" round & in trashy sites it is very useful, as the separation is amazing. Depth seems good for a small coil too. I really like the NEL Sharpshooter 9.5 x 5.5 DD & that is my go-to coil, but in heavy trash those little DD coils rock.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Tabman kills it with the Sharpshooter on his Omega,....Cibola.....F-75...... Tejon.... I lost count.

I had 2 different Omegas and like the elliptical concentric the best. I tried the 11" biaxial coil and EMI was a major problem with that coil for me unless I was out in the boondocks.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The NEL Sharpshooter search coil is a game changer. It kicks butt on all my detectors!

tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know Tabman kills it with the Sharpshooter on his Omega,....Cibola.....F-75...... Tejon.... I lost count.

I had 2 different Omegas and like the elliptical concentric the best. I tried the 11" biaxial coil and EMI was a major problem with that coil for me unless I was out in the boondocks.

The 8 inch concentric search coil that comes stock on the Gamma works better than the stock 10 elliptical search coil that comes stock on the Omega. It's deeper, runs quieter, and pinpoints faster. People who have used both the Gamma and Omega swore up and down that the Gamma handled EMI better than the Omega did. After switching around the search coils, it turns out that the search coil was the making the difference.

In areas that are loaded with pry caps use the 8 inch concentric, because it dis them out better than a DD search coil does. In other areas use the Sharpshooter.

tabman

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 8 inch concentric search coil that comes stock on the Gamma works better than the stock 10 elliptical search coil that comes stock on the Omega. It's deeper, runs quieter, and pinpoints faster. People who have used both the Gamma and Omega swore up and down that the Gamma handled EMI better than the Omega did. After switching around the search coils, it turns out that the search coil was the making the difference.

In areas that are loaded with pry caps use the 8 inch concentric, because it dis them out better than a DD search coil does. In other areas use the Sharpshooter.

tabman

That's good to know. I have the 8" coil from my Delta. I'll try it on the Omega at some point, take it for a spin and see what happens.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread