🙋 WANTED Looking for a book by Gary Winterburn, History of the Great Trail: From the Forks of the Ohio -- to the Tuscarawas Valley

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a copy but i had to pay dearly for it. The one i got is signed by Mr. Winterburn $275.00

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dawn -- sure did; I checked AbeBooks, but don't see any listed.

Gare -- you got a signed copy? Nice! I am having a hard time finding ANY copy right now, LOL!

Steve

bakkhoe

Jan 26, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox800; F75 ltd2; V3i; Tiger Shark; DeLeon; Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's out of print, probably a small printing. The only libraries I could find that have it are in Ohio. No copies for sale online by any seller at any price on any of the used book databases.
I imagine that you may have a long wait to find one. Keep watch online for a bookseller to put one for sale. You could get the author's address and write him a nice letter asking about getting a copy. I was looking for a book on logging Railroads in Michigan that was out of print and not available at all, and the author sent me a digital copy... so there is hope. Good luck to you.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called the owner They DO NOT HAVE ANY MORE COPIES !!!! They are looking for one for there grandson

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's out of print, probably a small printing. The only libraries I could find that have it are in Ohio. No copies for sale online by any seller at any price on any of the used book databases.
I imagine that you may have a long wait to find one. Keep watch online for a bookseller to put one for sale. You could get the author's address and write him a nice letter asking about getting a copy. I was looking for a book on logging Railroads in Michigan that was out of print and not available at all, and the author sent me a digital copy... so there is hope. Good luck to you.
bakkhoe -- thank you very much for the detailed reply. Yes, I am sure it was a very limited printing. I will keep looking as you suggested, and I will try contacting the author.

Thank you kindly!

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I called the owner They DO NOT HAVE ANY MORE COPIES !!!! They are looking for one for there grandson
Gare,

THANKS for checking for me. It's much appreciated!

Steve

datadr93

Feb 28, 2022
I do have this book and his other two. I grew up next door to the author in Fredericktown... my great grandmother and grandfather houses (adjoining lots). My great grandmother's house is actually the original homestead of Solomon Frederick. My family still attends the Fredericktown church. Somewhere in my grandfather's possessions I have the master keys to the octagon building (which very likely have been changed in the last 30 years). I know every sink-hole and air pocket at the tubs. And spent many overnights in the red caboose. My father was co-groundskeeper along with Winterburn while he was growing up.

All 3 books were extremely limited print. His daughter does not even have all 3. The most sought after is 'The Enchanted Village.' The third book being 'Scenes of Little Beaver Creek.' I have no clue as to the value of all 3... and all 3 signed. However, they contain my family's history and would not part with them at any price. They are destined to be family heirlooms.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if his family would give permission to make these available digitally? That is something I could help with but I will keep an eye out for copies since I am in Indiana and travel to Ohio from time to time.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell books for a living and the database I use has no copies for sale at the moment.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all, for your replies!

Thanks to Gare, I was able to secure a signed copy.

eman, a digital copy would have been great, but I ended up paying for the hard copy, and was fortunate to have been able to do so.

CreakyDigger, yes -- a VERY hard book to find!

datadr93, thank you for the very interesting historical information about your family, though much of what you referred to (tubs, octagon, red caboose) I am not familiar with. It sounds like you have hard copies of all three books, and that your family's history is interwoven with the information contained in the books. That is just fascinating, and I'm glad you were able to procure copies!

Thank you all!

Steve

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, for your replies!

Thanks to Gare, I was able to secure a signed copy.

eman, a digital copy would have been great, but I ended up paying for the hard copy, and was fortunate to have been able to do so.

CreakyDigger, yes -- a VERY hard book to find!

datadr93, thank you for the very interesting historical information about your family, though much of what you referred to (tubs, octagon, red caboose) I am not familiar with. It sounds like you have hard copies of all three books, and that your family's history is interwoven with the information contained in the books. That is just fascinating, and I'm glad you were able to procure copies!

Thank you all!

Steve
I even checked library holdings, the closest to your town was over 800 miles away.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions