Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I'm exploring the idea of becoming a metal detector dealer as a side gig. I see that Garret, Minelab, etc. have dealer applications available.

Is anyone out there willing to give me some tips, suggestions? General comments? I looked for a thread with this topic but didn't find anything.

My first and most obvious question is, what is the typical profit margin per detector sold?

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, you need to do some research on existing dealers in your area. Without a solid client list you won't last a year. Advertising, and keeping machines, coils, and related items in stock will cost you thousands of dollars up front, and take you - most likely, a couple of years to pay for. Have you thought about acting as an agent for a current dealer? Selling for a percentage where the dealer drop ships and you train the new hobbiest? This worked vey well for me over the years. Today, it is impossible to compete against the Internet, unless you have an established location and dozens of return customers.:occasion14:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 1980's I worked for a man who added metal detectors to an already-established business. The metal detectors were a complete sideline - they had nothing to do with his regular business. He bought 5 or 6 Whites machines and advertised in the phone book (this was before the internet). He made more money renting machines than selling new ones. He kept a couple of very simple detectors that were idiot-proof and would rent them out to people looking for property stakes, pipes, lost keys - usually not for coin or relics. He made a few bucks on the side but it was just a hobby business.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also major manufactures restrict how many dealers are in a certain area so they do not compete against each other so you need to check and see if there are any dealers in your area.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi man! It's fantastic you want to try a new side job. Like was said, it's crucial to have a firm client list. I see you're looking for a mentor. You definitely should be prudent where you find him. Be sure it's reputable and highly regarded.
Welcome to the site alexisrenjohn!

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Hey everyone,

I'm exploring the idea of becoming a metal detector dealer as a side gig. I see that Garret, Minelab, etc. have dealer applications available.

Is anyone out there willing to give me some tips, suggestions? General comments? I looked for a thread with this topic but didn't find anything.

My first and most obvious question is, what is the typical profit margin per detector sold?

I'd appreciate any guidance.
Go with the manufacture willing to drop ship, this way you're not required to hold inventory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread