- Joined
- Apr 24, 2010
- Messages
- 13,017
- Reaction score
- 28,144
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- Upper Canada 🇨🇦
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
- Primary Interest:
- Relic Hunting
A friend of mine cleaned up an old compass he found in a river in Quebec this past summer. He hasn’t found out much about it, just a very small mark beside the S ''Made in France.'' The degrees are for marine-use he believes, but that’s about it. He also feels it was made around 1900. The needle is fused to the case, so it doesn’t move any more. What I find odd, is that it was made in France but it has English heading directions, W for West E for East. Unless that was a world standard for compasses or an export version? I suspect that the letters are in English because it may have been made for export. I'm thinking that most maps were made in English by the late-19thc, not all, but most. 
I apologize in advance for the quality of the pics, but these are what he sent me.
Thanks for your help,
Dave
I apologize in advance for the quality of the pics, but these are what he sent me.
Thanks for your help,
Dave







