Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend of mine cleaned up an old compass he found in a river in Quebec this past summer. He hasn’t found out much about it, just a very small mark beside the S ''Made in France.'' The degrees are for marine-use he believes, but that’s about it. He also feels it was made around 1900. The needle is fused to the case, so it doesn’t move any more. What I find odd, is that it was made in France but it has English heading directions, W for West E for East. Unless that was a world standard for compasses or an export version? I suspect that the letters are in English because it may have been made for export. I'm thinking that most maps were made in English by the late-19thc, not all, but most. :icon_scratch:

I apologize in advance for the quality of the pics, but these are what he sent me.

Thanks for your help,
Dave

IMG_0409.jpeg

IMG_0410.jpeg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn’t appear that needle ever operated as a compass. That could be the bearing needle and the actual compass needle was placed in the center hole.

1910s Antique WWI French Morin Compass / Military Brass

It seems the “O” was replaced with an English “E” - possibly because a LOT oF English speakers were in France around the mid 1910’s . ;-)

Antique FRENCH BRASS Pocket COMPASS Made in France Vintage WWI ...

Upvote 3

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool relic.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doesn’t appear that needle ever operated as a compass. That could be the bearing needle and the actual compass needle was placed in the center hole.

It seems the “O” was replaced with an English “E” - possibly because a LOT oF English speakers were in France around the mid 1910’s . ;-)
Thanks for the information Charlie... I had know idea this was done.
Dave

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information Charlie... I had know idea this was done.
Dave

Personally, I doubt that to be the reason.

Since your friend says it is marked "Made in France" (in English) then I would say your initial thought that this was made for export is correct. Origin markings for export to English-speaking countries must be in English, but there's no reason for that to be the case for items sold in France.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions