Looking for info on salvaged shipwreck wood (long)

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006

soib45

Feb 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have shipwreck wood

I have shipwreck wood from a 19th wreck that came off NJ shore..Email me at [email protected] for info.

Hi All,
I am not a diver, I stick to solid ground, so I am looking a source for some wood to try something.
I am looking for wood from OLD sunken ships. I am a penmaker, and I am working on making pens from "wood with a story". I have made pens with wood from the Atlantic City Boardwalk, a tree that Robert Frost wrote a poem about, a broken MLB bat, and barrel staves from Jack Daniels whiskey.
I am looking for a small amount of LEGALLY obtained wood from shipwrecks to see if I can stabilize it enough to turn it into a pen. The type of wood does not matter: decks, rail, hull, cannon cradle..... All I need for a test run is a piece 1 inch square by 5 1/2 inches long. If you have info on the ship it comes from, all the better.
If you have what I am looking for, please let me know how much you want for it and we'll see what we can work out. If my idea works, and the wood is useable, it may turn into an ongoing thing.
Any help in this project would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that what you tell the archaeologists too? My dog ate the artifact. :D I remember when you sent that to Peg, you're a stand up guy Mike. I'm sure Ivan and I will both have reports to post after the meeting, thanks for taking the time to voice your opinion.

Jason

Ole Pegleg will be missed. I appreciate the little time I got to know him. While at his Expo, he put me onto an old bottle dump in his neck of the woods. Someday, I will check it out. Only wish I had a photo of him to post, in respect.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A lot of us miss 'ol Peg Leg. This photo was originally posted by Darren in NC.

DONWEBB.JPG

Shan@spud

Aug 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your still interested I have wood found 20 ft of water in Southeast Atlantic Ocean. It has brass pens and large wood pegs still in it. It appears to be a piece of the keel. Unsure of age but looks to be hundreds of years old. Local fisherman captured it in a net. I have several pictures but unsure how to insert them. I can send them via email

Dylan.W

Greenie
Dec 8, 2017
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
CoinMasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also a pen turner looking for wood with a story, If you find anyone willing to lend some historical wood, I would be very interested

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions