Looking to buy a metal detector.

lambretta

Aug 21, 2003
southern maine
I'm in the market for a metal detector. I did very little coinshooting when I was younger and want to start again. I've been looking at White's since this is the brand that I had used and it's one of the biggest names. There is a small minelab dealer somewhat nearby but I was hoping to get something used. I like the looks of the XLT. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

thanks for your time,

frank

Upvote 0

S Hardy

Greenie
Aug 16, 2003
I have a Whites Classic 3 that I just love. It?s simple, accurate and takes a beating.
I?m sure I?ll catch flak for this, but I can?t figure out why people pay big bucks for a lot of bells and whistles when mine will do the same thing.
After I got to know the machine and listened to what it was telling me, I could guess 50 % of the time what I was about to dig up.
Also after doing a little experimenting with the settings and ground balance, I can go into an area set the machine up and go.
Don?t get me wrong though, I often wonder if a high dollar machine is better.
It would have a long way?s to go to beat My Classic 3.
What I?m saying is, with a decent machine it?s the operator that makes the difference.

S Hardy

Greenie
Aug 16, 2003
I have a Whites Classic 3 that I just love. It?s simple, accurate and takes a beating.
I?m sure I?ll catch flak for this, but I can?t figure out why people pay big bucks for a lot of bells and whistles when mine will do the same thing.
After I got to know the machine and listened to what it was telling me, I could guess 50 % of the time what I was about to dig up.
Also after doing a little experimenting with the settings and ground balance, I can go into an area set the machine up and go.
Don?t get me wrong though, I often wonder if a high dollar machine is better.
It would have a long way?s to go to beat My Classic 3.
What I?m saying is, with a decent machine it?s the operator that makes the difference.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what type of hunting you want to do.
Beach,
Land/parks,
Water.
Gold,
Or some combination of the four. Different machines are good for different applications

R

Rich

get somthing cheap around 2-300 dollars,untill your sure you want to make huntn a full time hobby and then go for a more expensive unit...or find people in your area to see what types of detecotrs they use and see how welll those detecors work in the ground/minerial conditions around ya,also check your local dealer,theyll help ya alot.....do some research and find somthin that suits your needs...im somwhat new to the hobby to and afew people on the board here helped me out a bunch...but good luck to ya

OP
OP
L

lambretta

Aug 21, 2003
southern maine
oh yeah I should have mentioned......

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I want a detector that can do a little of everything but mostly I would be looking for coins and jewelry. The area has a pretty good history (mid 1600's) and I would probably want something that can find coins/jewelry pretty deep. Detecting will probably not be a full time hobby for me, but I want to make the most of the times I can get out, which I'm sure will get me to go out a little more. The beach is about a mile away so I should probably take advantage of that too. The only thing I would not be using it for is raw gold or going underwater.

Looking at old pictures and maps, the landscape has changed a lot here in just 100 years. A lot of the sites I would be checking out are located in the woods now (not wooded back in the day though)
Now if I could just remember where that old house foundation in the middle of nowhere was......

So I hope that better explains what I would be hunting for. The finds on the various message boards are getting me exicted to get out there!

Thanks again,

frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread