Looks Like Im Going Into a "Learning Curve"

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Looks Like I'm Going Into a "Learning Curve"

Oh, man!! The Minelab Eureka Gold arrived and I made it home without having a heart attack or going crazy after Sweetie called me at work this afternoon and told me it was here finally!! AIIEEEEE!!!

One thing's for darn sure.....this baby is NOT gonna be a "turn on and go" machine! It's about orders of magnitude more complex than my little Ace 250.

It started with opening the box it was delivered in. Solidly taped together in a USPS Priority Mail labelled box, it required my knife and several minutes (it was WELL packed). *g* Then, opened the Minelab box ("Treasure Through Technology") and there's about a gazillion pieces! Ok, so it was only about 15 pieces, but compared to the Ace that had about 4 pieces, holy cow! Got out the manual and started reading and putting together. It only took about 15 or 20 minutes to assemble the Eureka, but it seemed like forever.

Then I figured, ok, I'll try turning it on, but didn't expect it to fire up like the Ace that came with batteries installed. Well, it went "BEEP" and fired right up!! YEEHAW! So I swept it over the concrete floor of our covered patio and it started singing like one of the better kids on the American Idol auditions (hey, it's a new season. Anyone else watch it??)!! LOL It's got tones and sounds like I've never heard! It's definitely gonna take a while to learn it's language. But dat's ok. I speak a bit of French, some German, a smattering of Spanish, a tad of Russian and can curse a word or 2 in Latvian...not to mention being able to mangle English. ROFL.

I took it out to the back yard (dark by now) along with a 1.5 gram gold sample and passed the detector over the gold. Kinda strange signals started sounding, but nothing near as strong as I figured. Drat! So I go back onto the patio and read about ground balancing. Go back out to the back yard and tried ground balancing, then detecting the gold sample again. Drat! Still not as strong as I think it should be. I toss down a quarter, pass the detector over it and SHAZAMMM!! Darn near blew my eardrums out! LOL

Anywho, I called Rob (of Rob's Detector Sales, who I bought the machine from) and let him know it arrived. He gave me some hints and tips, but mostly said "Read the manual, test it out again and again and learn what it's telling you." He said call anytime with questions.

Sooooooo, long story short, it's gonna take a bit of work with this sweet detector to get it going and telling me stuff I can understand, especially gold-nugget-finding-related stuff. Not a real surprise. If anyone has any tips or helpful info, I'd sure appreciate either a response in the forum or a PM.

I'll keep ya'll posted. :D

HH, ya'll!

Upvote 0
T

Texas George

Re: Looks Like I'm Going Into a "Learning Curve"

Whot learning curve are you talking about ? Minelab aint got one. You just bought the best. your dealer told you to read your booklet , there is an old saying when all else fails read the directions. You can hunt where no other detector can go [ heavy black sand ] You need good head phones ,they are not all the same, go back to your dealer and run air test some will detect three or more times as far as others you need a pair that fits tite against your ears [ block the wind unless your a slow learner ] Things you need or should I say must have , [ 1 ] A garden hoe [ 2 ] A plastic scoop [ 3 ] A test nugget the smallest you can get that will give a good signal at 2in. [ 4 ] somthing to put gold in . Go to where gold has been found before look for bedrock in the bottom of a dry wash or stream if less then 12in. use hoe to scrape off overburden, detect about 2 or 3 in. per sec. advance only 1 or 2 in. at a time. I have been teaching people how to detect for nuggets for a nomber of years [ an garrentee whot I teach ] out in the field it aint free I do charge. Stick to the bottoms unless someone shows you an old nugget patch to try. Set your detecter on dificult and run on 60. If you are in a area where nuggets are being found and you cant find one you are going to fast or your not on bedrock or ?

OP
OP
TXKajun

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750

Texas George, thanks for the valuable info!!

I've had my Minelab out once looking for gold and think I made about every mistake a greenhorn can make first time out! I forgot my gold sample at home (I have one that's 0.15 grams.....gives a nice steady but quiet signal at 2" in the air), went to a new place and forgot all the hints and tips I was given on how to hunt it....after getting lost about 3X trying to find it...., didn't give myself long enough to hunt (4 hr drive each way....I should have spent the whole weekend there instead of 1 day going up and back and hunting), didn't practice enough in the back yard, didn't experiment enough in the back yard with different frequencies....you name it, I probably did it.....or forgot to do it if I was supposed to! LOL

But I had a great time, met a new friend, saw some great countryside and came back with tales enough to get my wife and son fired up to head back out there in 2 weekends and spend 3 days in the gold fields. ;D So not a total loss. Now, hopefully, I can remember to remember all the things I forgot or forgot to do 1st time out! I think I may start making a list (lists are our friends! LOL) and include the info you so generously shared. Many many thanks!

HH, ya'll!!

Kajun

P.S.

If anyone else has and hints/tips/secrets related to gold hunting with a metal detector, especially a Minelab Eureka Gold machine, that they'd like to share, please either email me or post 'em here! Thanks in advance.

T

Texas George

Let me know where you go, if its some where Ive been I might be able to tell you where there are nuggets { I dont play gold miner I live it ] One friend I told where to go he got a 1/4 ouncer. Now he told me where he got 20 nuggets I will be there in 3 or 4 weeks. Have A nice day.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Hi TXK:

Been a member of this forum for awhile, but just been a lurker. But since I found your post, someone I know, thought I might as well at least say HI.

Sounds like you've got a challenge ahead, but I sure envy you with such a great detector. Not knocking the 250; love mine so far and it should be fine detecting for coins and relics here in Iowa.

See ya.

DFIU aka Dick from IA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions