OKC, OK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jambone

Jan 26, 2013
Skunkington Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do to some skunky boxes, I have started asking tellers for loose ones. I've had some will ask me if I'm looking for silver, and others tell me that a couple people came in a little before me asking the same thing.

Are you experiencing the same? It just seems that it's not as big of a secret as we'd like it to be. I think this is a good reason to establish good relationships with the tellers - maybe get them on your side.

Computer Jones

Oct 23, 2012
The Great Pacific North Wet. (I can see Canada whe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do to some skunky boxes, I have started asking tellers for loose ones. I've had some will ask me if I'm looking for silver, and others tell me that a couple people came in a little before me asking the same thing.

Are you experiencing the same? It just seems that it's not as big of a secret as we'd like it to be. I think this is a good reason to establish good relationships with the tellers - maybe get them on your side.

The best thing you can do is develop a good relationship with a vault teller. I have been able to do this at a few local banks.

One vault Teller actively searches for AG. But, just because I have been nice and pleasant with her she sold me 3 rolls of Mercs at face.
That was very nice, but she still enjoys the heck out of showing me the solid rolls of quarters and halves she captures.
Sometimes I'm able to pick up a few single coins from these finds by saying, "You get to look all day, and just think of how much you have! I only get to look on my lunch break and hardly have anything."

She doesn't seem to care about dimes and war nickles. And she orders me boxes of halves (always asks if I find anything). She is also nice about letting me dump unlimited U.S. cent coins (a.k.a. "pennies").

A good relationship with tellers and the vault teller always helps in CRH!

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started doing this last year and did it for a good 6 months virtually every day at lunch at dozens of banks. I began to understand the "game" as I found more and more stories about "oh yeah, this young guy just dropped off $5k worth his father gave him for his wedding" and "oh yeah, this guy just came in with $2500 rolled from his newborn baby gifts" blah blah blah. Too many people are into this in certain areas. I had fun finding a total of about 10 after working over $10k total in halves. It is fun, but not fun going through thousands w/o a hit.

Plus to top it off, I started having tellers that had already pulled silvers... and they told me they had... bank tellers are getting smarter and there's too many peeps in the game. Bummer because I used to do a lot of coin hunting as a kid to fill books. Now it would be cheaper for me to mow a yard and take the $25 and buy several from a local dealer...

Just my .50 cents worth input.... *wink* happy roll hunting!

JMB

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the main reason for the depleting amount of CWR are the commercials on TV, radio, and online for CRH. Most of the people who read the scam ads think that every roll will contain silver, and they will naturally buy a few CWRs. When they get skunked a few times, they will quit knowing that they have lost money. Some will persevere, or will strike a great find, and will begin to order boxes, but the majority will just hunt CWRs.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I'm pretty lucky. I seem to find a lot of Ag in teller trays.

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm pretty lucky. I seem to find a lot of Ag in teller trays.
I was doing my Saturday bank routine and decided to hit a very small bank that appears to get very little traffic.

Found 1 in a stack of 8.50 out of a very young tellers tray. She counted them out on the counter and I could see the beauty from 3 feet away... Obvious silver. My elation was instant but it wasn't mine yet... She hesitated, did a double look at it and I thought "dang is she going to pull that one back?" But then I realized her look was more of "why is this coin a different color" than one of understanding. She hands them to me for my $10 and then another says I've got a roll and I took those too. Skunk roll but I took the 68 with glee.

I searched $88 in halves, and $297 in dimes and quarters on Saturday and that one silver was the payout. Having difficulty finding a single dime or quarter silver.

JMB

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I was doing my Saturday bank routine and decided to hit a very small bank that appears to get very little traffic.

Found 1 in a stack of 8.50 out of a very young tellers tray. She counted them out on the counter and I could see the beauty from 3 feet away... Obvious silver. My elation was instant but it wasn't mine yet... She hesitated, did a double look at it and I thought "dang is she going to pull that one back?" But then I realized her look was more of "why is this coin a different color" than one of understanding. She hands them to me for my $10 and then another says I've got a roll and I took those too. Skunk roll but I took the 68 with glee.

I searched $88 in halves, and $297 in dimes and quarters on Saturday and that one silver was the payout. Having difficulty finding a single dime or quarter silver.

JMB

Quarters are very hard to find, better put all that money into dimes with that small of a bankroll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread