LOST FRENCH GOLD, MINERVA, OHIO

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Well, I might as well be the first! lol
I will give an abbreviated version of the story......well, something like this anyway:
In the 1760's the French held possession of fort Duesquine, which later became fort Pit in Pittsburgh. George Washington was leading a company of 2000 British troupes from the east to attack the fort. The British held up at Turtle Creek for the night.

Indian scouts reported to the French that an attack was coming. The french loaded one ton of gold which was to be the french payroll onto 10 pack horses and sent them west along the Great Trail. They were to head to Bolivar where there was a block house for shelter and provisions. That location later became the location of Fort Laurens.

The British were successful in overthrowing the fort and learned of the escape with the gold. Four days out of Pittburgh, the British were catching up to the French, so the Frenchy burried the gold to avoid it getting into British hands. It was reportedly burried at the fork of 3 springs. One mile to the west of that location a rock was placed in the fork of a tree.

There was only one survivor of the ensuing battle, a fellow by the name of Le'sour. (sp?). In 1820 or so, a diary of the (by then deceased) Le'sour telling the entire story was found.

I lived along side the Great Trail, and researched this story for years.My notebook of "facts" mostly substantiated, was over 100 pages long. It has been researched by many, and plenty of springs in that area dug up, but nothing ever found...Except for one thing that is.

A lady I met while researching this....showed me a rock, wrapped in a towel, and placed in a shoe box.
"Her grandfather hit it with an axe while splitting fence posts".

I tried.........and finely learned to live with the failure! lol......Let me know when you find it.

Tim

S

Seeker Of Truth

so they must be the ones to find that "rock in the tree"..... Ive started to look into this legend and I'm very intrigued... once warmer weather hits i plan on hunting for relics and treasure in Ohio. i STOL have yet to get a metal detector, but two of my Friends already have one. I plan on gettin mine in late march, early April and going out and starting. my army buddy said him and his uncle found a 24k gold pocket watch on a beach in Virginia one year and got 1600 for it! that's enough to get someone interested in MDing. But yeah i have looked into the Minerva gold legend and think i might take a swing at it.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Some years back I did look into this legend and talked with George Robbins, who's farm it is believed by most to be buried on. He showed me where the shovels on the hill side were found and said one was used by his father? or Grandfather to fire their heating stove for years. He also told me that there was a map to this treasure that he had untill he let some treasure hunter that came to his farm use it and he never got it back. I asked him if he could remember anything about the map and he said he couldn't remember? I thought he'd be able to draw me something from memory, but he wasn't able to. He said there was at one time a dear head carved on a tree one mile to the east, And a rock was found in a neighbors tree about 1/4 mile to the west.
So I thought I would walk 600 paces to the south from where the shovels were buried, and I didn't cross his southern fence yet so I swong a M/L around the area and didn't have any hits.
I have an idea about this treasure and where it may be, or at least where I'd look. But I'm not going to print everything for everybody to read. If you think you can work this treasure, get in touch! I'm soon to be 74 so don't wait to long.

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Paul Micheal Henson had a story on this in one of his treasure tales books. There was a shovel found but I thought it was found closer to Mechanicsburg than Minerva, but been years since I read it. There was also a tale handed down by residents of the area that Indians had seen the treasure buried and dug it up and reburied in a cave near Kilgore. My Dad told me he had heard that story for years. Also, just southwest of Jewett(my hometown) in Harrison County, there is supposed to be a large deposit of lead that indians had used. This was supposed to be on property formerly owned by a family member, but Dad never looked for it and by time I knew of it, we couldn't get permission to search. Since I no longer live in the area, I haven't pursued it. HH.

Ed

S

Seeker Of Truth

Well my friends and i have alot to look into :-\, I'm gonna go lookin for it.... i think the only reason people dont find gold to often is cause they dont try hard enough :headbang:. Ill look till I'm 80, then use the money to extend my life so i can enjoy my riches.... 8)

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
This story, as well as many others is written about in my book. = (OHIO's TREASURE LEADS AND LEGENDS) =$5.00 Send me a PM with your address and I can get a copy to you,
French Commander Lingeries of Ft. Duquense Was like a monarch. He held control over the upper Ohio River vally. As lawyer, judge, jury. His word was law. With an army to carry out his dictates he securd a large personal wealth. under the pretext of confiscation, taxes,penalties,etc!
The Commander sent his treasure on ahead to safty,as he had to stay with the fort to the end. He later waited at Ft.Machault, drinking, gambling waiting for his treasure that never arrived.
There is just to much to this story to list here. If you want my book you know how to get it. If not that's OK too.

GB

Jul 1, 2010
Question as to whether there was any gold and silver of large quantity during that period?

In the paper called "An account of what has occurred this year in Canada." Arch., vi, 328, reference is made to Contrecoeur in the following words: "Sieur de Contrecoeur, Captain in the Canadian troops, who was in command of that fort [Duquesne]," etc.
See further as to the details of this expedition and relative subjects, Winthrop Sargent's History of an expedition against Fort Duquesne * * * * Parkman's writings, especially Montcalm and Wolfe, Penna. Archives, second series, Vol. vi.

"Return of the artillery, munitions of war and other effects belonging to the English, found on the field of battle after the action which took place on the 9th of July, 1755, within three leagues of Fort Duquesne on the Oyo, between a detachment of 200 Canadians and 650 Indians, commanded by Captain de Beaujeu, and a body of 2,000 Englishmen under the command of General Braddock, exclusive of the considerable plunder that the Indians took: 4 brass pieces with the arms of England, of the calibre of 11 lbs; 4 brass pieces with the arms of England, of the calibre of 5-1/2 lbs; 4 brass mortars or howitzers of 7-1/2 in. diameter; 3 other grenade mortars, of 4-1/2 inch; 175 balls of 11 lbs; 57 howitzers of 6-3/4 inch; 17 barrels powder, of 100 lbs; 19,740 musket cartridges; the artifices for the artillery; the other articles necessary for a siege; a great quantity of muskets, fit and unfit for service; a quantity of broken carriages; 4 or 500 horses, some of them killed; about 100 head of horned cattle; a greater number of barrels of powder and flour, broken; about 600 dead, of whom a great number are officers, and wounded in proportion; 20 men or women taken prisoners by the Indians; very considerable booty in furniture, clothing and utensils; a lot of papers which have not been translated for want of time; among others, the plan of Fort Duquesne with its exact proportions.
"Note.—The Indians have plundered a great deal of gold and silver coin. (Arch., 2d Series, Vol. vi, p.)

After Beaujeu was killed in the fighting against Braddock, Contrecoeur took charge of everything!

(28.) "The Register of Fort Duquesne," &c. This Register is a translation from the original Registry of baptisms and deaths, &c., as it was kept at Fort Duquesne during the time of the French occupancy, by their priest, the Rev. Charles Baron. It was copied from the Records in Canada, under the supervision of Mr. John Gilmary Shea, LL. D., and edited with a historical introduction and exhaustive notes by Rev. A. Lambing, A. M ., and published at Pittsburgh, Pa., 1885. The Register extends from June, 1 1754 to December, 1756. The most interesting entry in the Register is that in which is recorded the death and burial of Beaujeu. It is as follows:

"In the year one thousand seven hundred and fifty-five, on the ninth of July, was killed in the battle fought with the English, and the same day as above, Mr. Lienard Daniel, Esquire, Sieur de Beaujeu, Captain of Infantry, Commander of Fort Duquesne and of the army, who was aged about forty-five years, having been at confession and performed his devotions the same day. His remains were interred on the twelfth of the same month, in the cemetery of Fort Duquesne under time title of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin at the Beautiful river, and that with customary ceremonies by us, recollect priest, time undersigned chaplain of the King at the above-mentioned fort. In testimony whereof we have signed.
Fr. Denys Baron, P. R.,
Chaplain."

NOTE:
This letter by Contrecœur is dated two weeks after 9th of July, the battle against Braddock. In a letter on 20 July Contrecœur indicated to the minister that an “unfortunate accident caused by the fatigues of the last campaign will perhaps make me unable to continue my services.”
Four months later:
He asked the minister on 28 Nov. 1755 for the cross of the order of Saint-Louis, which he received in March 1756, and for promotions for his two sons, one an ensign, the other a cadet. His military career was essentially finished, but he did not officially obtain his retirement and pension with half pay until 1 Jan. 1759.

Since there was a large cache of Gold and Silver, plus military hardware, from the defeat of Braddock, the question becomes "what happened to all of it?"
It is a recorded fact that all of the military hardware and equipment was eventually returned to the British and was signed off, but nothing is mentioned about the Gold and Silver![/size]

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Let me pass this info along! A long story made short! I once met an older man years ago, that told me when he was a young man he wanted to rent some farm land and another young fellow took him to his Grandmothers farm along the Ohio River. The farm was located south of Rt. 52 and the river in Ohio. What is inportant is that he was told that the farm house was an old French Fort. And the Grandmother brought out an old Map in French of the fort and told the young men for something to do, why not try and find the treasure the map would lead to. So they did and found some of the marks given on it. Plus they did find the treasure, In a box. But were unable to recove it. That is another story I will not get into at this time. The map had written on it in French, That the Grandmother could read that the French army was retreating down the Ohio River and stopped at this Fort or stockade after having to flee Ft. Duquesne. (This happend in 1758) They felt the British were close in persuing them and decided to hide the box there, before going on down the river. I asked the man if he could remember the name of the Grandma and he said he couldn't, it had been to long. And just where was this farm located? He said he wasn't real sure, but the fort was then built into a more long white house about 300 feet back from the river. and a long lane went from the highway to the farm house. He said he'd go into Ironton for supplies.
So there you have that info and if anyone can find the Fort I know where to look for the treasure. You find the fort and we can be partners.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Grandma owned the farm, how she came by the map I know not. This has to be one of the oldest farms along river or dwelling or so I would think. Likely this was a stop over and traiding post with the indains. I didn't get into the research as much as I should have, Being newly married, job and little money to bat around the country at the time. Later just got into other things.
I was told where the coin was found and where the map said it would be. So if you can find the fort, I know where to look. Just don't wait to long, I'm 74 yr's old. You have my phone number. Later!

Faithracer

Apr 10, 2012
Minerva, OH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Dscry 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are still around to read this, better yet, that you have found the treasure! If not, I live in Minerva and I thought that thinking outside of the box might be a good way to go about this. Remember, these handful of soldiers saw that the British were about to overtake them. This usually does not leave a whole lot of time for planning a burial site and mapping it out - which is why there's "a rock in a tree and a carving in another". I am really just looking for more clues since it seems like it's more likely to be discovered by a geologist from Texas working properties in the area.

gunnerg42

May 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im eager to work on this, if anyone wants to help call me at 325 320 2964

donb0078

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
atm, whites sl II classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't mind a looksee myself, it'd be over 2hr drive for me but I'd be willing to help. I'll check my info on the area maybe it'll have something in there about it.

Jyantis86

May 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did u ever get anywhere with this and if so are you still looking I've been researching and digging into info and I have my ideas and thoughts maybe we can still find this. 614-972-5080 john

BWeldy82

Sep 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I as well am very interested in working this and being successful at it. If anyone is interested send me a message t is about a 3 hour trip for me but I am willing to do it and spend time on searching and researching it.

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm co-hosting a new podcast called Ohio Mysteries and our last episode was on this buried treasure. I enjoyed reading all your insights on this forum! You can see our Minerva Lost French Gold page at ohiomysteries.com if you'd like to check it out. Nothing new there for you, I'm sure, but you might enjoy listening to the podcast. All the best! - Paula

Big Mac

Apr 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandma owned the farm, how she came by the map I know not. This has to be one of the oldest farms along river or dwelling or so I would think. Likely this was a stop over and traiding post with the indains. I didn't get into the research as much as I should have, Being newly married, job and little money to bat around the country at the time. Later just got into other things.
I was told where the coin was found and where the map said it would be. So if you can find the fort, I know where to look. Just don't wait to long, I'm 74 yr's old. You have my phone number. Later!

I think I might have found the property you are talking about. It is along the river in Ironton and an old listing has pictures showing what appears to be old hand hewn ceiling beams that could indicate the age and possibility of being the old fort. Just thought I would share with you and everyone on this forum.

Zoom In_LI.jpg
Zoom Out_LI.jpg
GIS Sales Record.JPG
Zillow Ad.JPG

Attachments

• Zoom In.JPG
    Zoom In.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Zoom Out.JPG
    Zoom Out.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 221

Outrider43

Dec 25, 2014
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites D6000, MXT All Pro and Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A local Minerva resident wrote a book using the actual evidence in his novel. I bought a copy on-line to add to research I've already collected.

JPat

Apr 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone seen a map noting where the shovels, deer carving, and rock were found? I've seen each of those noted as found and occasionally some general location, but have not seen them positioned on a map. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread