Lost Mine of the Sierra Madres

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
During the early pioneer days of Steamboat Springs, Colorado, a large, wooded gravel bar or "island" existed in the nearby Yampa River. Known as Dream Island or simply "The Island," the area has since attached itself to the "mainland" after the north channel of the Yampa River was diverted and filled in. The Island holds somewhere within its bosom two of Routt County's earliest pioneers. One of them was a mountain man and trapper, the other a prospector and gold-seeker. Both are buried somewhere near the Yampa River, on what was once the Island.

The first to be interred on the Island was the famous pioneer and fur trapper Johnny Tow. A long time resident of Routt County, Tow trapped and hunted nearly every stream in north-central Colorado. This local legend passed away during the late 1870's and was laid to rest in a shady spot on the Island overlooking the Yampa River.

In 1884, another of Routt County's legendary pioneers passed away and was buried on the Island next to the old trapper. "Pony" Whitmore was a prospector by nature and inclination. It was Whitmore and partner W. H. Dever who discovered the Gilpin Mine along the headwaters of the Elk River in 1879. Located near Gilpin Lake, the Whitmore/Dever strike generated a small rush that eventually gave birth to the Slavonia mining districts.

"Pony" Whitmore's gold strike in 1879 was the result of years of search in the rugged mountains of north-central Colorado for one of the most famous lost mines in the state. Indeed, he would spend the five remaining years of his life looking for the hidden mine.

Known as the Lost Mine of the Sierra Madres, the fabulous gold deposit was discovered by four prospectors somewhere near the Continental Divide, about 10 miles east of Hahns Peak, in 1866. Some accounts place the discovery on the headwaters of Elk Creek, which flows westward to the Yampa River. Other accounts place the discovery on the other side of the Continental Divide, along the headwaters of Bear Creek, which flows eastward to the North Platte River. In either case, Ute Indians led by chief Colorow eventually showed up and forced the miners out of the mountains.

Only one of the original four prospectors was ever able to return to the Sierra Madres to search for the mine. His search party, which included "Pony" Whitmore, scoured the mountains east of Hahns Peak but was never able to find the fabulous lode. Whitmore himself searched for the mine until his death in 1884 but the lost lode eluded him. It remains hidden to this day.

Interestingly, in 1997, an elk hunter found a large number of pea-sized gold nuggets in the surface gravels of a small stream somewhere in this very area. The elk hunter, who lives in Greeley, Colorado, was unable to relocate the gold-bearing stream gravels ("placer") when he attempted to return to the spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread