Lost Platinum Wedding band, need advice please

L

LostRingGuy

Well, as the subject reads, i lost my wedding band today. Spent about 3 hours looking before it got dark and i decided it was a lost cause. I made my way down to Radio Shack and picked up a couple Bounty Hunter metal detectors. I'm not sure how decent they are, but they were both around $200-$300. I need some tips on trying to locate platinum? What kind of settings do i need to use to get reliable hits on objects? The models i have are, Discovery 3300 and Discovery 2200. Will these pick up platinum? What will platinum register as? Something close to iron, or more along the lines of nickel? My wife and I are very eager to get out there and find my ring. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

LostRingGuy

Upvote 0

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
Why don't you try and find a local Metal detecting club and ask for help locating your ring?
Platinum signals on my detector no matter what the setting.

OP
OP
L

LostRingGuy

Alot of the links i have come across via google don't lead me to anything current. Any idea of where i can find listings of local clubs/enthusiasts? I am totally out of my element here.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Out of curiosity... HOW did you lose it?

Please let us know if/when you find it!!!

OP
OP
L

LostRingGuy

Thanks very much you guys. I have fired off an email to the closest club, and as you suggested pony'd up one of the detectors as a reward. I appreciate the help, and will keep those who are interested posted as to how everything goes. Until next time.

p.s. I lost the ring while driving down the street. It was a hot day, my hand was out the window, and the ring slid off.
On my way out with our equipment right now to try and find it.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW!!! Get out there quick!!! You shouldn't need a detector if its in the road. Sounds like it probably rolled into a gutter or ditch, but it should still be on the surface. Maybe a pair of sharp eyes will spot it if you look carefully. Hopefully it hasn't been run over!

Estimate the speed you were travelling... and the direction. If you know the spot it fell off, it's a given it went more-or-less the same direction as your car. The inertia would have carried it anywhere from 20 feet to maybe a hundred yards at the extreme. Platinum is heavy and will stay in motion a long time if its moving (why they use lead for bullets).

Then there are other factors, like do you have a street sweeper, was there road constructino in the area, an open manhole cover or drainage shaft, and other frightening possibilities you don't want to consider. Do you have it listed in your insured possessions?

Best of luck, and sincerely wish I could get out there and help you find it!

OP
OP
L

LostRingGuy

Spent 3 and a half hours combing the brush / ditch to the side of the road to no avail. Seeing as how it was a semi-rural street, i don't forsee any street sweepers being out there. I did speak to a few homeowners in the area and asked them to keep their eyes out for the ring if they are doing any mowing / weedwhacking. Worst part about this whole thing is that the ring wasn't insured. We are going to have to call the insurance company on Monday and see if it would fall under a "Misc" property loss. Still haven't heard back from the metal detecting club yet, but at this point we are pretty much writting it off :(

I appreciate all the help you all offered to us, and hope that you all have the best of luck with your treasure hunting.

Best Regards,
LostRingGuy

John SWFL

Greenie
May 15, 2003
SW Florida
Lostringguy, try contacting a local metal detector dealer. In my area I belong to a group of guys that when called apon to locate a lost item, a couple of us goes out to find it. Maybe the local dealer knows of some people. When we go to find the item we ask for a donation of $25.00 in our city and $50.00 outside of the city, but in our county, which we give the money to Cape Coral's Do the Right Thing for Youths. Well, I hope this helps you. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the reason for this, however, IF it went out the left window, it's most likely on the Right side of the road. just a suggestion, in case you only checked one side. the weight may have changed things, however when I was a young teen, all my trash went out the window, and most if not all went right if thrown out the left. :) . Just call me a reformed LITTERBUG :lol? ?JEFF

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
Hey don't give up yet keep trying. Platinium should register like a pulltab so don't DISC it out.Keep us updated.

L

LEVERK5102

John is right. I drive truck and see people throw stuff out all the time. If they throw it out the drivers side it ends up most of the time on the passengers side.
Goodluck Kerry

D

Darod

Gold,

I doubt he found it. He's only made 5 posts on Treasurenet, all of them are right here in this post. He probably won't ever get back here and see your question.

I wish I knew where he lives! ;)

I'd go out there and find that one for sure :) There's a good possibility that someone just walking by saw it and picked it up.

Rod

BIG_AL

Jan 14, 2005
MATTHEWS NC
Darod said:
Gold,

I doubt he found it.? He's only made 5 posts on Treasurenet, all of them are right here in this post.? He probably won't ever get back here and see your question.?

I wish I knew where he lives!? ?;)

I'd go out there and find that one for sure :)? ?There's a good possibility that someone just walking by saw it and picked it up.

Rod

Why dont you try sending him a PM, maybe he will respond.
Big Al

May 28, 2005
I know this is an old thread but I myself recently lost a platinum ring on my backyard while cutting the grass and clearing the undergrowths on my garden... still have the cuttings and whatever trash i cleared on mats and bins... won a seben m3007 metal detector on ebay UK but the manual is of german languange... I bought the ring in the philippines and we were told that it's something like 90-grade (not so sure now)...

tried scanning my wife's ring so I know how it sound like but wont even registered any beep... no problems with tin and gold and other metals... I was tweaking the control but dont really know much...

my question now is... can platinum be detected?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions