What's new

Lots of indians and more proof of crooked jewelers

toasted

Silver Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
3,452
Reaction score
14,368
Golden Thread
5
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a field that once held a school. It is mostly overgrown but they mowed a small area near the road. Weird grouping of finds consisted of late wheat pennies and early memorials and 4 IhPs including a toasted fatty. Later I got 3 more indians in the seated field

I also found another gold plated ring marked with nothing but 18k and a crown. Second one like this Ive found this year:BangHead:
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    336.2 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 36
The plated rings are a double disappointment, first for the buyer, then for us when we find them! The Indian Heads; however, never seem to disappoint. I would dig those all day!
 
Nice job on the IH cents....:occasion14:
 
Fake jewelry will drive you nuts... especially if the vdi is low.

You'll find it, just haven't got your coil over it yet. Keep doing what your doing, congrats!
 
Fake jewelry will drive you nuts... especially if the vdi is low.

You'll find it, just haven't got your coil over it yet. Keep doing what your doing, congrats!

I have found three smallish gold rings but not a big one yet
 
That's a nice hand full of IHCs! Wow.

You have been doing well this year. Congrats.
 
I have found three smallish gold rings but not a big one yet

Funny how things work out. Got a big gold ring the next day:goldbar:
 
Any chance of posting the ring markings? I found a a very old ring that, when it first popped out of the ground, that had so much verdigris I thought it was an old copper ring. I cleaned it with Naval Jelly, and it was marked 18K, but had corrosion. Now, can some gold rings, under the right corrosive conditions, have the alloying metal corrode so badly that the ring is mistaken for a gold plated ring? Just curious.

aj
 
Everyday, in NYC, there are shady characters trying to pass off stamped jewelry. 14kt seems to be the most popular but it isn't the real deal. This stuff has nothing to do with any jeweler. It is just another hustle being perpetrated by those who prey on the innocent. There are also people who buy this bogus jewelry, knowing that it is fake. They want to show off their BLING, at least until the plating wears off.
Congrats on the Indians.
 
Those crooked jewelers must have made their way down to Texas. Marked 18K but didn't even bother to gold plate 'em. Solid brass.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom