All Treasure Hunting
I did real good this last Saturday.

Only spent about $20 and this is what I got

1 silver double candlestick
1 silver vase
1 silver bud vase
1 1983s $1 olympic commerative
9 junk rings

after tearing the first 3 items down (removing the cement weights) and weighing all it is about $70-80 in silver.

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
cyberdan said:
I did real good this last Saturday.

Only spent about $20 and this is what I got

1 silver double candlestick
1 silver vase
1 silver bud vase
1 1983s $1 olympic commerative
9 junk rings

after tearing the first 3 items down (removing the cement weights) and weighing all it is about $70-80 in silver.

Hi, I have a question. How do you tear the items apart for the silver. My husband and I hit yard sales alot and am interested...
~Audiz~

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Audiz said:
How do you tear the items apart for the silver. My husband and I hit yard sales alot and am interested...
VERY CAREFULLY

Not kidding, the metal is very sharp.

The tools I use are a hacksaw and 2 pair of dikes (wire cutters to all you non tool types) and a small head hammer.

I start at the base and clip off the bottom. Looks like a campbells soup lid when off. This exposes the cement weight. I lightly tap it with the hammer and it easily breaks off into chunks and falls everywhere. (it is sharp too) Then I cut the piece into chunks wherever it is connected. (e.g. base from shaft) The silver is a very thin skin, just heavier than heavy duty foil wrap.

So when you make an offer keep in mind most of the weight is in the epoxy cement.

I wrote a report on buying silver and sell it on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...70057&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Selling
This one will only be up another week. Look at my pictures so you can get an idea how many grams you get in a piece. Roughly 31 grams per troy ounce. Have fun. ;D

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
Hi Cyber,
I want to Thank-you very much for helping. I will be very careful. Now, to wait for Spring ::).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread