Lots of Uncirculated US Gold Coins * Great True Story * See Picture *

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old coin true story -
Back in the 1980's into the 2000's I owned a coin/pawn shop. I could tell you so many stories about things that were brought into the store that were amazing. I have (3) stories that really stand out in my memories, so here is the first one.
I had a man in his 80's come into the store with a red Folgers coffee can with a rag in it so you could not see what was in it. I asked him what he needed and he said he wanted to sell me some coins and to take a look. It was approx ½ full of silver dimes. I figured out a competitive price to pay for each one and he said OK and to count them up. I did, paid him and he was on his way.
Approx a month later he showed up again with the same coffee can with the rag in it. Same story but this time it was silver quarters. I paid him and away he went.
Approx a month later he showed up again with the same coffee can with the rag in it. Same story but this time it was silver dimes again. I paid him and away he went.
This went on for a few months, then one day he came in and I thought here we go again. He was always nice and polite and I always paid him a fair price. Same red coffee can, same rag.
But this time, oh my God — it was ½ full of old US Gold coins. There was a brand new roll of Saint Gaudens $20 Gold pieces and a brand new role of $20 Liberty Head Gold pieces. Plus many Gold Sovereigns, $5.00 US Gold coins and misc other US un-circulated $20.00 Gold pieces.
Needless to say that is the most US Gold coins that ever came into the store at one time. I helped him sell his Gold coin collection.
Happy customer — Happy coin dealer!
Gary from Oregon

The coins in the line on the left are BU $20 Saint Gaudens US Gold coins and the row on the right are BU Liberty Head $20 Gold coins... :) The coins on the right in the coin flips are high grade BU $20 Gold coins... An amazing day for sure :)

lots of old gold coins.jpg

Last edited:
If there is 1 important lesson I have learned over the years: To get the good stuff, you must develop relationships and earn people's trust.

I agree... It has worked for me my whole life :)

He was testing your integrity and you passed. Congratulations on some beautiful coins.

I hope you won't mind me asking this: how much did you pay for all the gold coins? Great story! I wonder how he got all the coins!

The picture doesn't show them all... They melted over $100,000 at that time...:)))

I never ask him where he got them. He probably didn't trust banks like so many that during the Depression.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back