What's new

Lowly Turkey Vultures

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
2,356
Reaction score
8,501
Golden Thread
0
Location
Idaho
They are repulsive creatures but do serve a purpose... I placed a road killed deer behind that log hoping for a bobcat or cougar to get on the log to to take a peek at it. No success with the cats here. About ready to move the camera someplace else.
 

Attachments

  • TV1DSZPNG.webp
    TV1DSZPNG.webp
    463.4 KB · Views: 190
That's still a great shot, even if just turkey vultures. They're ugly alright -- right up there with possums. But they do serve a purpose, and I wouldn't want their jobs.
 
Good photo, though a puddy cat would of been better.

Every time it seems that I go out and about, I see a shadow.
I look up, and there's one or two circling over me.
Kind of makes me wonder.

They sure weren't gifted in the looks department.
 
Vultures are cool....
moose.gif


Ron, in my experience of trapping bobcats, it often takes a bit for the cat to swing back through the area and locate the bait. Don't know how long it's been there, but maybe give it some more time?
 
Vultures are cool....View attachment 2208262

Ron, in my experience of trapping bobcats, it often takes a bit for the cat to swing back through the area and locate the bait. Don't know how long it's been there, but maybe give it some more time?
Thanks Dizzy, It's been well over a month.. I checked it today and looks like the vultures are done with it.
 
Thanks Dizzy, It's been well over a month.. I checked it today and looks like the vultures are done with it.

Yep, that's long enough...time to try another spot. I'd probably move it at least a half-mile or so, as there's probably not a cat that frequents the area you're in.

I was always a big fan of a "cubby set", where I'd take natural materials and build a small shelter looking spot, with the bait in the back of the hole. Leave some deer hair or something outside to get his interest, then he'll go and work for the bait in the cubby. (not my pic)

IMG_2050.webp
 
One thing I noticed from observing these
creatures is strange. My back yard borders a small pine grove. One year they used the pines for roosting as the Sun went down. A flock of about twenty that had been circling around my area for the last 30 years or so., but only roosted next to my property for about 3 or 4 of those years.
One night I was sitting in my back yard as the Sun was going down, and I watched as the circling group was gliding along up high in the thermals & started to come down into the pine grove to roost for the night, ONE At A TIME ! One would leave the group in a structured order and glide into the branches of the pines. It was very orderly & structured.
Unbelievably, if a single bird that was coming in was too high or too low, he would veer off to the right or left and go back to try again, "ABORTING HIS LANDING" !! It struck me that this was very similar to air crafts landing on an aircraft carrier. This "parade" of gliding
animals was fascinating. I was wondering if anyone else has ever witnessed this.
 
A friend of mine was a gov nuisance trapper in WA state. He trapped a lot of bobcats. He said the way he drew them in was with feathers. He used chicken feathers I think and spread them all around his set. He said they were more visual hunters than scent hunters. He also used the cubby set like dizzy digger showed. He said to use plenty of feathers. Here’s a WA bobcat my friend caught. It was skinned case style and pro tanned by Moyle Mink. It’s ready to mount. I’ve been looking for a young up and coming talented taxidermist for a while but haven’t found one yet.
IMG_0004.webp
 
Last edited:
A friend of mine was a gov nuisance trapper in WA state.

Did some of that myself back in the late 80's. Once they basically took away our rights to trap I told 'em to go pound sand. Hell, I may even know your friend if he was around back then.

Takes some skill and experience with a skinning knife to get those paws skinned out just right. Could we see the belly side?
 
A friend of mine was a gov nuisance trapper in WA state. He trapped a lot of bobcats. He said the way he drew them in was with feathers. He used chicken feathers I think and spread them all around his set. He said they were more visual hunters than scent hunters. He also used the cubby set like dizzy digger showed. He said to use plenty of feathers. Here’s a WA bobcat my friend caught. It was skinned case style and pro tanned by Moyle Mink. It’s ready to mount. I’ve been looking for a young up and coming talented taxidermist for a while but haven’t found one yet.View attachment 2208457

Did some of that myself back in the late 80's. Once they basically took away our rights to trap I told 'em to go pound sand. Hell, I may even know your friend if he was around back then.

Takes some skill and experience with a skinning knife to get those paws skinned out just right. Could we see the belly side?
It's been about 35 years since I've set a trap and have no intentions of doing so again other than a camera trap. The last year I trapped, I caught 24 bobcats in the area of Oregon where i was living... I have used cubby sets a little but one of my favorites was a big dirt hole set, this imitates where another animal has buried something. I would put an egg sized chunk of bait in the hole and a commercial call lure on something high above and a little at the back side edge of the hole, then a hand full of feathers scattered around in the hole.

I got this picture behind my house using a big dirt hole set ( minus the feathers because I didn't have any at the time ) . The camera was placed on the back side of the hole focused where the the critter would be investigating the set. ( It was intended for a racoon ). The bear was at the same kind of set hoping for a mountain lion.
 

Attachments

  • 111.webp
    111.webp
    230.8 KB · Views: 85
  • LAYER2.webp
    LAYER2.webp
    184.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I got this picture behind my house using a big dirt hole set ( minus the feathers because I didn't have any at the time ) . The camera was placed on the back side of the hole focused where the the critter would be investigating the set. ( It was intended for a racoon ). The bear was at the same kind of set hoping for a mountain lion.

Those are incredible images...both of 'em! :occasion14: :occasion14:

I'm much the same...haven't set a trap, other than the odd bit of rat trapping, since about 1992. Had a change of heart about critters, and today would much rather be friends with 'em than enemies.

I did nail a record-book sized rat today. The trap opening is 3", and this rat was so big he couldn't get his hips past the side. He bumped the pan, and now he's deader than Custer's pecker. Showed it to my cat. Told him "Dude..this is what I feed you for. This was your job." In truth, I'd be worried about him taking on a rat of that size, although I'm sure he would kill the thing.

Trap is reset..time to go after his family..🐁

 
Those are incredible images...both of 'em! :occasion14: :occasion14:

I'm much the same...haven't set a trap, other than the odd bit of rat trapping, since about 1992. Had a change of heart about critters, and today would much rather be friends with 'em than enemies.

I did nail a record-book sized rat today. The trap opening is 3", and this rat was so big he couldn't get his hips past the side. He bumped the pan, and now he's deader than Custer's pecker. Showed it to my cat. Told him "Dude..this is what I feed you for. This was your job." In truth, I'd be worried about him taking on a rat of that size, although I'm sure he would kill the thing.

Trap is reset..time to go after his family..🐁

 
Those are incredible images...both of 'em! :occasion14: :occasion14:

I'm much the same...haven't set a trap, other than the odd bit of rat trapping, since about 1992. Had a change of heart about critters, and today would much rather be friends with 'em than enemies.

I did nail a record-book sized rat today. The trap opening is 3", and this rat was so big he couldn't get his hips past the side. He bumped the pan, and now he's deader than Custer's pecker. Showed it to my cat. Told him "Dude..this is what I feed you for. This was your job." In truth, I'd be worried about him taking on a rat of that size, although I'm sure he would kill the thing.

Trap is reset..time to go after his family..🐁


Yeah I have no pity for rats. I do still trap those occasionally.
 
Did some of that myself back in the late 80's. Once they basically took away our rights to trap I told 'em to go pound sand. Hell, I may even know your friend if he was around back then.

Takes some skill and experience with a skinning knife to get those paws skinned out just right. Could we see the belly side?
Here’s your belly shot Dizzy Digger. My trapper friend is from the tri-cities area. Cole H.
IMG_0022.webp
 
They are repulsive creatures but do serve a purpose... I placed a road killed deer behind that log hoping for a bobcat or cougar to get on the log to to take a peek at it. No success with the cats here. About ready to move the camera someplace else.
So are you doing it to kill the Bobcat or cougar ? I see dead cats and animals in your pictures ... Sad !
 
Doing it strictly for photography. I don’t see the dead animals that you do. Maybe l’m missing your point.. Do you think I’m causing their deaths?
No not at all, but wasn't sure if you took those picture to show us how you trap Bobcats...
There are in fact pictures of a dead Bobcat here, splayed open with several different pictures, so I just wanted to ask... wasn't trying to be offensive..
 
No not at all, but wasn't sure if you took those picture to show us how you trap Bobcats...
There are in fact pictures of a dead Bobcat here, splayed open with several different pictures, so I just wanted to ask... wasn't trying to be offensive..
The Bobcat photos were posted by another member.

If you click on one photo and then scroll through the photos you will see photos posted by others as well as the OP photos!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom