Lumber Camps

Marauder1998

Jul 13, 2015
Alpena County, Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are a lot of you out there who have some interest in early lumber camps, and I can tell you right up front that Alpena is second to none in the possible finds from the late 1800s to early 1900s. I've excavated sites of old camps out near Hubbard Lake and i've found some glass bottles that are straight up ANCIENT. Gin bottles, early soft drink bottles, even old bowls and plates..depending on where you dig, the loot there can be anywhere from the late 1800s up the the 1960s. Metal detectors are useless, though, because you'll find many old cans that are rusted to hell. Anyways, I figured some would like to know.

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
there are plenty just up the road over the bridge as well, and once you figure out where they are your in good hunting ..... I do not agree with the useless metal detector part though, although there usually are old iron trash items i've found in large sites most of the garbage was discarded around the perimeter of the camps, was working a few areas north of the bridge with plenty of success, and ill be there again for 2 weeks next month. found a major site in the middle of no-where with light guage track, spikes and seems go in several directions as if there was a turn table there at some point. i was only on site for a couple of hours and did more looking around than i did detecting...will update after the trip hopefully some pics.

OP
OP
Marauder1998

Marauder1998

Jul 13, 2015
Alpena County, Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, I've tried metal detectors, but even with a discrimination setting, it still goes off just for an old, rusty tin can. The way I see it, you'll have better luck just using the detector to find a sire to dig and just freehanding from there on.

OP
OP
Marauder1998

Marauder1998

Jul 13, 2015
Alpena County, Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are plenty just up the road over the bridge as well, and once you figure out where they are your in good hunting ..... I do not agree with the useless metal detector part though, although there usually are old iron trash items i've found in large sites most of the garbage was discarded around the perimeter of the camps, was working a few areas north of the bridge with plenty of success, and ill be there again for 2 weeks next month. found a major site in the middle of no-where with light guage track, spikes and seems go in several directions as if there was a turn table there at some point. i was only on site for a couple of hours and did more looking around than i did detecting...will update after the trip hopefully some pics.

Are you in Northeast Michigan?

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
no I live in burton, have a place north of moran though, dug up a dozen indian heads last week all 1880's on top of a hill out that way, along with rail harware and yep lots of junk stuff too
dan

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mule shoes

My brother is a field biologist for the WvDNR. His main job is to survey areas for rare or endangered plants in areas designated for future use.
On one survey He told me he came across a moss covered pile of mule shoes about three feet high, indicating an old logging camp. Don't you know he wouldn't help a brother out, and kept the site a secret. It's the same with all the ginseng he finds and doesn't let me dig. Damn Tree Hugger!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread