What's new

Magnet fishing

dirtangel1

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have watched some videos on magnet fishing and am intrigued. Most of the targets are guns and bullets. Any thoughts? Any good finds? :coffee2:
 
I have talked to Canadian hunters about this because most of their coins now have steel in them
 
We tried it years ago in Illinois, and pulled about 5 0r 6 guns out of an irrigation ditch. I want to get another one though since I found out where the local sheriff used to dump confiscated guns years ago.
 
How do you get bullets with a magnet? Most bullets are made of brass and lead.......NGE
 
NGE said:
How do you get bullets with a magnet? Most bullets are made of brass and lead.......NGE

A lot of the videos of magnet fishing are from Russia and Germany I think, I've seen a few and they do pull up bullets, but only because a lot of military ammo had a steel core rather than lead.
 
Thanks for the heads up Ken. I learn somethimg new every day. Who says ya can't teach an old dog new tricks?.........NGE
 
Thanks for the comments about magnet fishing. I also watched a video where a magnet is lowered into a dry well. The guys pulled out a number of weapons. I am trying to think of something other than weapons to hunt. In another video two guys made a living out of pulling scrap from a dock off a harbor. They filled their trucks up with huge pieces of metal objects. I believe it was in Holland. Guns , bullets not for me but I happy to share the message for those who collect such objects. :)
 
NGE said:
How do you get bullets with a magnet? Most bullets are made of brass and lead.......NGE

Eastern Bloc surplus. They use(d) steel case for some ofthe cartridge cases and even the bullet jackets. Hard on bores.

WOLF still makes and sells civilian steel case hunting ammo. I have some in 7.62 x 54R.
 
Hey guys here is why I am intrigued.

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom