What's new

Mahogany obsidian

pirateslife

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this last summer. It fits nice in the hand, I know that this obsidian isn't a local rock, it was brought here (central wyoming) possibly some kind of hand tool or maybe just a piece that got dropped? It makes you want to bludgeon something when you hold it :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1382582604198.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1382582604198.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 146
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382582660343.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1382582660343.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 137
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382582705381.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1382582705381.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 127
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382582728827.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1382582728827.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0
nice core for trade or later use
 
There are about 20 different sources of obsidian in Wyoming, but I can't think of any that produce Mahogany, neat piece. Probably a core.
 
There are about 20 different sources of obsidian in Wyoming, but I can't think of any that produce Mahogany, neat piece. Probably a core.

iT SEEMS TO ME,THAT THERE WAS SOME IN THE YELLOWSTONE OUTCROP?(Ooops sorry bout the cap lock)
 
im finding alot of black ones in my yard about 3 to 4 feet down some small sum big. strange for the central valley:dontknow:
 
You don't gotta yell kuger..... geese...:D

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Local ground hound told me probably Yellowstone he said there was some there. I found a good blade this year out of mahogany obsidian. It was broke but found both pieces. Damn cows crush em.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Local ground hound told me probably Yellowstone he said there was some there. I found a good blade this year out of mahogany obsidian. It was broke but found both pieces. Damn cows crush em.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I thought there was.....we have a source nearby here that produces some near solid brown
 
:thumbsup:...yep,thats from that source .....my daughter found a arrowhead the other day that is a stunner,that had to have come from there

I figured by your description this was from there. I have all of those in a frame alone. The stuff you gave me is some of my favorite.
 
I figured by your description this was from there. I have all of those in a frame alone. The stuff you gave me is some of my favorite.

...shoot me your addy again...I think I still have it,but in case....
 
That might be mid night lace obsidian instead of mahogany which would be a really nice piece of obsidian. When you hold it up to the light can you see thru it along the edge maybe? Most of the mahogany that I have and have seen is more like what kuger posted. Yours appears to have a lot of black in it.
 
You can't see through it, its real dark black, there is a solid band of red/brown around the bottom all the way through about 1.5 inches tall and the whole way around.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
midnight lace obsidian is awesome this definitely isn't transparent I do have a piece of Pink Lady of obsidan it this one of my prized possessionsIMG_125321366381104.webpIMG_125312857543191.webpIMG_125317307621210.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom