CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the Deus out for about 2 hours today in a location I have pounded with an Equinox. I managed 8 cents. Woohoo! I used the hot program and went by tone as I don't know any of the VDI numbers. I didn't dig anything below 45 on the VDI. The location had 2 homes from the 40's but had older 1800's stuff on the land prior to that. The one nickel I found was definitely missed by me and my equinox. One of the pennies was also in a spot that I had gone over multiple times with the equinox. The VDI was in the 60's on that penny. It was surrounded by a mix of square nails and modern nails.

When I first started detecting this lot I could pocket a few dollars in clad and an occasional wheat penny. The only silver I've found there was a war nickel but I did manage an IHP from there. I still have this feeling that I should find a Barber dime or seated dime. Full of trash, pull tabs, and bottle caps. Plus nails everywhere.

I only have the elliptical 9x5 HF coil but have an X35 9" coil on the way. What program would you run in an area that has nails every few inches?

Digalotajunk

Jan 4, 2018
KCMO
Detector(s) used
Have used a Bounty hunter "Lone Star," Tesoro "Cibola." I now use an XP Deus.
MI6 pinpointer
Lesche digging tool
Predator piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would refer you to Calabash Digger, and his YouTube channel. I run a version of his pitch program that I modified for my own search needs. I hunt in TONS of old Square nails, but ESPECIALLY barbed wire. I get punked every once in a while and dig some crap...but, not very often!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put out some test targets and see which programs you like. My opinion the Hot program is not very deep.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every custom program I use is a variation on Deus Fast. Discrimination is important on Deus especially if running in multi tones or pitch - iron volume allows you to hear iron if desired even if you disc it out. Disc also helps give you more stable Target IDs because it mitigates ferrous down averaging and it enables the horseshoe display to operate reliably when differentiating iron vs. non-ferrous targets and as a depth meter. BTW - unless you are in ID NORM (which doesn't work for your HF coil) - your target ID on a specific target will vary significantly based on operating frequency. When you are asking about setups or talking about your experiences Chris it helps if you give us your settings, but specifically, the frequency you are using and # of tones. If you were operating at 14 khz (the lowest HF coil frequency) 45 and above will generally net you nickels, gold jewelry, and all high conductive coinage and silver jewelry. You might cut off some smaller gold coins and jewelry but also most foil. You will be dealing with can slaw and pull tabs in the 45+ range. Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread