Main reason for Minelab introducing the 600 and 800?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I get that the 600 is for lower budgets than the 800. But these differences are they mainly software changes to artificially limit the 600? Or one or two less chips? Does anyone know where these differences occur, in hard ware or software?

I also get that you will have a certain percentages of 600 users buying 800s over time. So I am not arguing their decision but just trying to see where the cost are reduced on the 600.

I am thinking it is most all in the software and maybe a chip or two differences. This is way above my head guys. Just curious. We know they did save some money on water tight seals and coils ears and lower shaft quality.

And was the 600 and 800 introduction like other Minelab models in the past? (before my experience with Minelab).

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great questions. I'll be interested in hearing the answers of the experts. It could be a marketing decision as well, to offer a "simpler" version of the 800 as the 600. I could have bought either, chose the 600, because I thought I would not need the extra fine tuning of the 800, and that the 600 would be easier to use.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the 800 because I knew for a fact that I wanted Bluetooth headphones and that was a good part of the price difference at the time. The extra features were easily worth the rest. You never know what you might get into with this hobby and those might come in handy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is video of differences.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones and module are big part of the price. Whether or not it’s JUST programming or there is actually a chip missing….dunno. To me, it’s not enough of a difference in price to NOT get the 800. There really is a lot more to it that is very useful to the intermediate-experienced hunter.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frequency. With the 800, you get an additional High Frequency mode for detecting gold nuggets. The real reason to buy the 800 over the 600 is this one frequency set. If you can afford the Minelab Equinox 600, and do not plan to hit areas with detectable nuggets, stay with the 600. If you want a dedicated nugget shooter, get the Minelab Goldmonster 1000.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
600 dosent have the 20 and 40 khz as individual selectable frequencies, in multi-mode they both run identical with all 5 frequencies. .

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
600 dosent have the 20 and 40 khz as individual selectable frequencies, in multi-mode they both run identical with all 5 frequencies. .

Just to be clear because I know Minelab has caused a lot of confusion regarding what frequencies actually comprise the Multi IQ frequency spectrum, the fact is that the 5 individual single frequencies (now six with the addition of 4 khz on the last update) that are available on the 800 have NO relationship to the constituent frequencies that comprise Multi IQ. I think the most accurate thing you can say is that the Multi IQ spectrums for each of the modes common to the 600 and 800 are identical and that the coverage spans the range from below 5 to above 40 khz. Whether the multifrequency consists of combinations of 2 (most likely based on measurements and because it results in the least transmit power loss), 3, 5, or 50 frequencies is unknown and frankly does not matter as long as it results in quality finds, and that has been pretty much proven.

For those who still doubt this, here is a direct quote from ML and the link to the ML page that contains the quote:

"The Multi-IQ frequency range shown on thish [sic] chart applies to both the EQUINOX series & VANQUISH series detectors, in all models. There is no direct link between the individual single frequencies shown in the diagram and the frequencies used in Multi-IQ." [Emphasis mine]

Reference: https://www.minelab.com/knowledge-base/getting-started/how-metal-detectors-work

FWIW

Regarding the OP's question:

The fact is the hardware and manufacturing cost of the both Equinoxes is likely much less than what we are paying for them. The difference between the 600 and 800 detectors is mostly software and the added physical switch that enables the "User Profile" to be set on the 800. Other than that, the cost difference is tied to the value placed on the difference in capability/versatility between the 600 and 800 and, as someone else pointed out, the additional wireless audio hardware that is provided in the 800 package.

BTW - I am not a gold prospector but as a relic hunter I use the gold mode a lot because the audio and frequency range is ideal for relic hunting, so this is not about whether or not you are a prospector. On the flip side, it is pretty well documented that the Equinox 800 pretty much kicks the pants off Minelab's own dedicated vlf gold machine, the Gold Monster.

Other than that the 800 provides a tad more versatility in the ability to adjust non-ferrous tone breakpoints and tone frequencies, adds the user profile mode which is very convenient for interrogating targets, adds a manual noise cancel mode which can be convenient in most places, has the aforementioned gold modes which are useful for more than just gold, and perhaps most important, gives a greater range and finer degree of adjustment for both recovery speed and iron bias which can make a big difference in hot ground and/or bed o nails situations. HTH

Last edited:

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"...gives a greater range and finer degree of adjustment for both recovery speed and iron bias which can make a big difference in hot ground and/or bed o nails situations." -vferrari
This is what I pine for as a 600 user.

"...the cost difference is tied to the value placed on the difference in capability/versatility between the 600 and 800 and, as someone else pointed out, the additional wireless audio hardware that is provided in the 800 package." -vferrari
This answers the original question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions