What's new

Carbon fiber shafts for Equinox 800

OBXmetalDet

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2019
Messages
381
Reaction score
281
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some questions about this:


The website says this:

*rubber grommets not included. The new coil connector design makes the grommets protrude from the connector, eliminating wear on the coil ears and reducing the likelihood of them snapping.

*Detector, Coil, Arm cuff and rubber grommets for illustration purposes only.

1. Where in the illustration are these grommets?
2. Why are they mentioning a new coil connector design when a coil connector isn't even included with these shafts?
3. Although the rubber grommets are not included, do I need to buy them somewhere else?
4. My Equinox 800 comes with an upper, middle and lower shaft. This only comes with two shafts. Are these two shafts combined just as long as the original shafts?
5. If I buy these upper and lower carbon fiber shafts, is there anything else I need to buy to use these carbon fiber shafts?

Then we have this video:


1. At 0:08, she says this (carbon fiber shafts) is a single piece designed to replace the upper 2 sections (upper and middle shafts) of the stock Minelab Equinox shaft. Does this mean I still need to use the stock lower shaft with this?
 
While I didn't purchase from this particular seller, I did buy this same carbon fiber rod from Steve's Detector Rods. I am happy to provide input where I can -

1. Where in the illustration are these grommets?
They go into the tear drop hole at the end.
Detect-Ed-Coil-Savers---Installation.webp


3. Although the rubber grommets are not included, do I need to buy them somewhere else?
Looks like they are also for sale on this same sellers site. You should have an original set with your Equinox.

4. My Equinox 800 comes with an upper, middle and lower shaft. This only comes with two shafts. Are these two shafts combined just as long as the original shafts?
Yes, the two shafts equal the same length. The pop-holes are replaced with a much more sturdy slider & clasp.

5. If I buy these upper and lower carbon fiber shafts, is there anything else I need to buy to use these carbon fiber shafts?
Need? Probably not. I chose to get an aluminum arm cuff, as the plastic one supplied with the Equinox breaks easily. I also purchased a coil stiffener to save the ears from breaking. I did this only from suggestion, perhaps seasoned MD'ers here have a better suggestion if these are needed or can speak to their usefulness.
 
While I didn't purchase from this particular seller, I did buy this same carbon fiber rod from Steve's Detector Rods. I am happy to provide input where I can -


They go into the tear drop hole at the end.
View attachment 2215145


Looks like they are also for sale on this same sellers site. You should have an original set with your Equinox.

This is very helpful. It looks like grommets and washers are the same thing. I took off the knobs/screws that connect the tear drop end of the lower shaft to the coil. Then when I looked at the end of the shaft I saw what appears to be a black rubber grommet that is flush with the sides of the tear drop end of the shaft, so I guess I do have those grommets.

1. What happens if you don't have those grommets/washers in there? Couldn't you still connect the shaft to the coil?
2. On a separate note, in the picture you can see sand between the coil and what appears to be a coil cover. Is that a coil cover?
3. When you are detecting should you have the coil cover on or should you take it off?
 

Attachments

  • Equinox 800 Coil Cover.webp
    Equinox 800 Coil Cover.webp
    979.8 KB · Views: 61
What happens if you don't have those grommets/washers in there? Couldn't you still connect the shaft to the coil?
This is the problem that I saw complained about the Minelab Equinox 800 the most when I was researching detectors. The grommets are spongy, & you tighten the bolt that holds the coil onto the shaft. As the grommets dry out, you have to increase the tightness of the bolt, until eventually the bolt is pushing the ears of the coil in. After enough pressure the coil ears can break, which requires you to replace the entire coil. So without the grommets, I don't think it's going to hold together at all. When you lift the shaft, the coil will have no tension & just be loose & floppy. The coil stiffener (these are 3D printed, you can get them on Amazon or Etsy) goes outside of the coil ears, increasing their strength. You're still going to need to use the grommets though.

Here is a photo of my coil stiffener.

2025-07-03-23:17:54.webp


I don't know anything about coil covers, so I can't answer those questions.
 
This is the problem that I saw complained about the Minelab Equinox 800 the most when I was researching detectors. The grommets are spongy, & you tighten the bolt that holds the coil onto the shaft. As the grommets dry out, you have to increase the tightness of the bolt, until eventually the bolt is pushing the ears of the coil in. After enough pressure the coil ears can break, which requires you to replace the entire coil. So without the grommets, I don't think it's going to hold together at all. When you lift the shaft, the coil will have no tension & just be loose & floppy. The coil stiffener (these are 3D printed, you can get them on Amazon or Etsy) goes outside of the coil ears, increasing their strength. You're still going to need to use the grommets though.

Here is a photo of my coil stiffener.

View attachment 2215219

I don't know anything about coil covers, so I can't answer those questions.
This was an excellent explanation.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom