What's new

maine celt

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This celt is from the archaic period.It was a wood working tool for dugouts.

ForumRunner_20130223_135225.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_135258.webp
 
Upvote 0
Very cool. Can we see a shot from above it. Looking down on the bit
 
Here's a couple shots

ForumRunner_20130223_145628.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_145703.webp
 
Nice find! Good to see stuff from the far Northeast.
 
Nice large artifact. I wonder if they would burn and dig. And repeat the process.
 
Nice large artifact. I wonder if they would burn and dig. And repeat the process.

You bet. Neat process isn't it? It strengthens it at the same time.
I think Celts..(straight bit)... were used as an axe to actually chop down the tree..whereas an adze..(curved bit) ..was used along with chisels to hollow out the log.
Nice find!
 
Last edited:
Don't forget the gouges gatorboy.they fit in this category somewhere too.just not sure if they all were in the same time periods.
 
They sure do fit.. they made alot of canoes here by me. In the southern part of the state lithic stone was a scarce commodity so I find not only the traded in chipped and ground stone artifacts but also shell artifacts made to do the same job. I have hardstone and shell Celts..and alot of shell gouge type tools. Its real cool to see the maritime tradition at work at both the northern and southern tips of the east coast.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom