What's new

Maj. Genl. W. H. Harrison campaign token - Ammonia cleaning method

RestoringYourFinds

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
293
Reaction score
186
Golden Thread
0
Location
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following a method that was shared on my Facebook group, I did try the ammonia method on my Harrison token. I basically placed my token in an ammonia bath for about an hour.

Well... I am pretty glad with the result. I have stopped there and added a super thin layer of Ren Wax. Don't know if I should/could have gone further but already satisfied with the result. Even more so when I look at the reverse. It almost seemed as I was missing letters at the bottom but after that cleaning session, all letters are here !

pjimage.webppjimage-2.webppjimage-3.webp
 
Did the renaissance wax cause the slight darkening? Very nice cleaning job.
 
Yes it actually did. I do like that better actually.

I agree, it does look better with that little bit of a darker tone. I didn’t realize Ren wax could actually change the appearance of what it is applied to though. I think I’ll have to get myself a can of it.
 
I agree, it does look better with that little bit of a darker tone. I didn’t realize Ren wax could actually change the appearance of what it is applied to though. I think I’ll have to get myself a can of it.

It's not really cheap but you just need so little every time that a single order could last for over a year, maybe more.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom