Make a real waterproof CTX 3030 - scuba diving experience!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Did you get a chance to check out the new 2.00 o-rings for fit yet?

I did and have been using the 2.00 - not for scuba but definitely in and under water. I was almost disappointed again because they are a tight fit but not enough to make the clips pop all by themselves. It is slightly annoying still to make sure the ring is in the groove while getting the battery in but it is do-able. One problem is that the ctx has two "corners" that make it hard to fit the oring but today I noticed that the ring has started to take shape of them.
Found this ring in a pond recently.

Attachments

• 1442287328036.jpg
    1442287328036.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Understand, diving with the 3030 voids the warranty..

In theory you are right TH..... now in real life, it is impossible for Minelab to prove that you have exceed the advertised depth. I've seen CTX leaking when hunting in the surf....

Keep in mind :

Scuba detection IS NOT so common, especially in North America where you have to sign a bible of discharge when renting a scuba tank/ scuba equipment
People always want / dream of scuba detecting but only a few are doing it. So concerning Minelab warranty and capability of refusing a CTX 3030 in a repair center for a out of limit use :laughing7: .... just forget it.

In my opinion and if I was in charge of Minelab sales & marketing

=> I will be very happy to have power users who are showing the CTX 3030 at depth below 40ft. It is good for image, it is good for business, especially when you have to face a poor reputation of multiple leaks...

348216ctx3030scuba1.jpg

117702ctx3030scuba2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Audio Bone? Hardwired to the special ctx connector?

Yes, some waterproof bone phones are available without connector and you just have to place a CTX M-12-8 pin one.

483820ctxbonephone.jpg

870455ctxbonephone2underwater.jpg

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you see a pair of GGUW on my head when scuba diving?
Just forget them..... I use a bone phone

I did some looking on bone phones. The one I found was priced at $443.00

They probably charge shipping too...

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought this one Amron International 1406-2 Bone Conducting Earphone with 6ft. Cable without Connector

It was 130$ in march 2015 till sept 1st 2015... since I have advertised it on forum for CTX 3030 price has raised... to 230$.
I have contacted them to understand how they can achieve such a price increase like that in a short period of time.

AXSUB is an AMRON reseller and should still give you a good pricing. Shipping within the US was around 25/30$ if I remember...

Last edited:

N7XW

Feb 9, 2014
Western WA
Detector(s) used
ctx, atp, tejon, omega, etp, f2, compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not planning to use my ctx underwater but do want to use it in heavy rain without worrying about it. Do you guys think the stock o rings are good enough to keep water out in a heavy down pour? What about the headphone jack? Is the plastic plug good enough to keep it waterproof in the rain? I want to use the wireless under my raincoat instead of the gg phones. Thanks.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Plastic cap should be ok for heavy rain, stock oring either. The oring Mod can be done and will always give you more security: harden the lockers and prevent dust. When you upgrade the stock oring for less then $3, you will never come back to the stock one.

You can ask the question to the community but I'm 100% sure the will advise you to upgrade. I can show you hundred of photo of the CTX underwater and honestly it's a hasle free, simple and cost effective solution.

I don't know why Minelab still ship the CTX with the crappy red oring, but my Ferrari has manometers from Fiat car sold less then $10k .... there is no little profit...

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Regrettably I have to report that I got a tiny bit of freshwater in using the 2.00. Another problem I'm having is getting the oring to stay while I put the battery in, and since I'm not always going in the water with it, I'm going back to the red oring as my daily. When warmer weather rolls around again I'll rethink it all but it's too much work to put in the 2.00 just when changing the battery.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The oring should stay in place when changing/ charging the battery. It is even quite difficult to retrieve the oring when it is in place, need to use a small tool...

The size you use is too large for sure + need to to use sillicone your oring once per charging.

I use my CTX for diving almost 2 times a week for a 2h hunt minimum each time in SALTWATER => never had a single leak from the battery pack.

Try an other size / or place it properly

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How good is the stock USB gasket for ocean surf and slight submersion? The flat part on the threads looks like a weak point since you can't add Teflon tape.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
leave it like this and use a thread sealant to secure the cap. The gasket is the only piece that ensure the waterproofing of the USB plug.

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
The oring should stay in place when changing/ charging the battery. It is even quite difficult to retrieve the oring when it is in place, need to use a small tool...

The size you use is too large for sure + need to to use sillicone your oring once per charging.

I use my CTX for diving almost 2 times a week for a 2h hunt minimum each time in SALTWATER => never had a single leak from the battery pack.

Try an other size / or place it properly

Yeah I've had a lot of success with it as well . I doubt I'm done water hunting! :)

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what kind/make of thread sealant and would that affect the warranty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
An observation here.

When I replaced the red o-ring with the new one suggested.....

I was under no pressure of time, so I seated that new o-ring very carefully, a bit at a time through the entire circumference..... You don't just slap it in! You make sure it is seated every fraction of an inch along the path....

That's how you do things, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread