What's new

Making a Living With Your Metal Detector?

OOP! I meant for this to go into the (An open discussion about the future of metal detecting)discussion,sorry.
 
hey Dan , OK gonna chime in here an give my two cents , no matter how bad the economy is there is` no possible way the average Joe Smoe is NOT going to make a living at our hobby ,maybe pay for the batteries an a lil gas but that's about it an maybe every so often find a piece of jewelry that might be worth a couple bucks but the majority of us just are happy with our finds not out to try an get rich .


luv your pod casts keep up the good work :icon_thumright: Tank
 
i have dreamed of it but in reality if i did i would be in the soup line for sure
 
I'm thinking if I dig enough junk I could make a killing :icon_scratch:
 
art of fact said:
OOP! I meant for this to go into the (An open discussion about the future of metal detecting)discussion,sorry.
Cru actually know-es a professional hunter.
 
Can you make a living? Yes A good living? Unlikely I would not say no since their are exceptions to every rule.

I see panhandlers everyday that are making a living....

NJ
 
If you did it as a living-wage job, even tho you make your own hours, you would still have to contend with the pressure and required amount of time necessary to make enough. Your research would also cause the same kind of urgency to be productive.
Would you enjoy it or would it turn into a grind....?!?
I tend to think the latter.
So even if you "could", wouldn't it ruin the positive aspect(s) of detecting!?!
The guys are right about it being just a "hobby"...... otherwise, it's just 'work'.

But to the few who have been lucky enough to find the big $$$$$$, CONGRATS!!!! We all dream of that I think..............
 
In the states to even have a chance of detecting for a living you would have to beach hunt. Highest percentage of jewelery recoveries. Best time to beach hunt is right before, during and right after low tide. So now you don't have just one time each day you must report to work but two.

I'll keep it as a hobby...Thanks
NJ
 
N.J.THer said:
In the states to even have a chance of detecting for a living you would have to beach hunt. Highest percentage of jewelery recoveries. Best time to beach hunt is right before, during and right after low tide. So now you don't have just one time each day you must report to work but two.

I'll keep it as a hobby...Thanks
NJ
I would have thought the best time to hunt a beach, is after a storm :icon_scratch: it is here.

SS.
 
Silver Searcher said:
N.J.THer said:
In the states to even have a chance of detecting for a living you would have to beach hunt. Highest percentage of jewelery recoveries. Best time to beach hunt is right before, during and right after low tide. So now you don't have just one time each day you must report to work but two.

I'll keep it as a hobby...Thanks
NJ
I would have thought the best time to hunt a beach, is after a storm :icon_scratch: it is here.

SS.

Very true SS...but in the context of this discussion if you were trying to detect for a living you would have to detect almost everyday. If you waited for the storms you would most likely starve to death. I was just entertaining the original question posted ;D.
 
I consider metal detecting as a hobby, since no old coins are to be found in my neck of the woods for Washington state, I mainly hunt for clad. Clad adds up and I usually use clad to either put into my savings account for other things or to pay off a little of my credit card debt. Either way its a fun hobby and I enjoy detecting with my buddies and finding cool things wheather people think they are valuable or not! :)
 
Washington state, a state without a lot of high value ship wrecks or high stake outlaw robbers burying their loot. Not a hole lot of gold coins buried either.

That's while I got spooked when the thought of quiting my day job for a living at detecting entered my mind.
 
well in washington state I average $2.00 a hunt thats $56 a week, $274.00 a Month and $2,688 a year, So If you Detected everyday with at least $2.00 made, you could afford a car payment but not retire!
 
vanoldschool said:
well in washington state I average $2.00 a hunt thats $56 a week, $274.00 a Month and $2,688 a year, So If you Detected everyday with at least $2.00 made, you could afford a car payment but not retire!

What car are you getting for $274.00 a month???? lol I just purchased a year old mini van and the payments are $389. With the mini van I enter into a new phase of my life.....I'm just glad my wife drives it and I can keep my SUV.

NJ
 
Your bail-bondsman and IRS debt agent would eat you alive. Only guy
I know of has found so much gold he puts it in a museum for safekeeping.
 
this is going even further out of sight very soon.

the government has printed a boat load of money.

bigtime inflation is imminent.

that clad aint gonna add much.

when a burger is 5 dollars.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom