Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the American Dream.
Frank Bourassa was a hustler.

He’d tried every shady deal out there—from marijuana to jacked cars. This was a guy who knew how to make a quick buck.
Literally, as it turns out, when he realized one day that with each of these schemes he was aiming for the same thing: cash.
So why not skip a step and just print some himself?

After over a year of concentrated study, detailed planning, and investment in high-quality printing materials, he was able to fabricate a $20 bill that was basically indistinguishable from the real thing.

By printing $250 million of the stuff, he earned the title of being the world’s greatest counterfeiter.
Frank was caught eventually, but he managed to get away with it relatively unscathed by simply turning in $200 million in $20 notes he had printed.

Nonetheless, for his crimes, Frank spent merely 6 weeks in prison and paid a paltry penalty of $1,350.

Of course, the state eagerly grabbed up the $200 million that he hadn’t shifted yet along with one of the specialized printing presses.

Man counterfeits $250 million of nearly flawless bills, gets away free

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember this story/guy.
Crazy.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANOTHER way to pay "down" the Fed Debt, I reckon... :tongue3: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! :laughing7:

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... with the amount of punishment they gave this guy it's almost as if the government is discreetly telling us its okay to counterfeit millions of dollars of US currency. The Federal Reserve certainly isn't being intimidated by this ruling as THEIR presses print $250 million+ unbaked fiat bills every few hours. The FR is the real counterfeiting king. :cussing:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't counterfeiting punishable by death?

GOD Bless

Chris

the risk of death doesn't mean anything.
it hasn't stopped mad bombers etc. :tongue3:
just another penalty in the way.
and reason to be good at what you do.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He printed $250 million and surrendered $200 million when he got caught. How much was the remaining $50 million in counterfeit 20's worth?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He lives in Chile, if he lived in America his sentence would have been quite different.

"Simon Black
January 8, 2015

Punta Arenas, Chile

January 8, 2015
Punta Arenas, Chile"

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was involved in lithography, the green ink was kept track of by the Treasury. I couldn't buy it legally w/o signing off on it.
Because of movies the vision of a bi-speckled old man slaving for hours to engrave a plate isn't how it's done.
A photo of a bill is transferred to sensitized metal plate then etched and run through a press can be done in a couple of hours. Some pros will do a first print of the red/blue threads first.
I was surprised when I saw the film "To Live and Die In LA" and they showed most of the process. Even putting the bills in a clothes dryer for aging them.
Then laser copy printers were used by some. They had the right feel for money. The people doing this were often only printing a few at a time as they wern't pros and probably feared being caught. Just happened to work where a photocopier was available. What isn't commonly known is many copiers have built in hard drives that record everything. Caution:Don't scrap an old photocopier w/o removing the hard drive.
This is not inside information if curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread