What's new

Man! Im having a great weekend!

Johnnoh

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2008
Messages
303
Reaction score
120
Golden Thread
0
Location
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man! I'm having a great weekend!

I just got another large copper coin - 2 in 2 days! This one was 100 miles from the first. It appears to be in pretty nice shape but I'm afraid to clean it. Please help I'd. It's also 28 mm in diameter.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436036307.791352.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436036323.464674.webp

Thanks in advance! I don't have my red book with me today.

Jon
 
Last edited:
Upvote 24
Nice...curious to know meself
 
Looks like an Early US Copper Cent or Half Cent. Pre-1800's.
I wouldn't clean it. Maybe soak it in mineral oil for a couple months.
I can see a face on the front. eyes, nose, mouth, and flowing hair.
Nice find..............................
 
I have never found any LC or Coppers but IMO you got a 'Draped bust cent ' that should clean up nice.
Sure it's not 29 mm?
Nice Find
Davers
 
It's a large cent. Beyond that you'll need to clean it. If you can see a line under "cent" it's a classic head or newer. At 28mm I tend to think it's a matron head LC. Congrats
 
Looks like a Draped Bust to me. I think I see an 180? for a date. Nice find whatever it turns out to be. :thumbsup:
 
It's definitely a large cent this time. I can see "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and it looks like a Draped Bust -- the prettiest of all Lady Liberties IMO. It's gonna be a tough one to clean as it looks like most of the detail is in the crust. It's unfortunately pretty toasted like a lot of coppers we dig in NJ. Congrats on such an early LC though! :thumbsup:
 
Draped Bust LC. That looks like one that will lose the detail when you clean it. Be very careful. I personally would give it a shot because to me I'm either going to have a nice looking coin after I clean it or I'm going to have an ugly piece of crap which I already have. But that's because I've found a ton of old coppers. I didn't feel the same way when I found my first few. Was scared to death to touch them
 
Nice old coppa
 
If you watch the "Aquachigger" YouTube video on how to clean or ruin an old coin, his technique is to scrape off as much crust as you can with your finger nail.then he takes Aquachigger oil (by rubbing the side of his nose) and rubs it on the coin to provide some relief and bring out the coins detail.If the coin is washed or immersed in oil it can never have some of the details retained by his process. Watch the video- very interesting! Most LC we find here in NJ are too toasted for this,but I tried it with some success on an 1817 LC I dug a couple weeks ago.
 
ITS A LARGE CENT I DO BEELEIVE.
 
Cool find, still looking for my first.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom