Manada Fort

planebill

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2007
I thought I'd start a new thread as this is off topic to the Pa. Caves thread.

Thanks for the map/directions Jeff!

I hate the feelings of inadequacy I get when something is supposed to be easy to find and I can't find it. :) I made a brief attempt Thursday just before dark to find a trail leading to a marker for the fort but was unsuccessful. The path SE of the bridge is blocked by a chain with a faded sign saying that is is leased US government property, No Trespassing, blah blah blah. I went on anyway. I could not find a path that follows the creek. The entire area is difficult to move through due to a large number of very large trees being blown down. They are laying roughly parallel to the SE as if a powerful wind through the gap blew them down. I did pick up a clear trail that veered away from the stream to the left. It was totally blocked by down trees near entrance by 443. I followed it for I'd guess 1/4 mile or more until it petered out by a farmers filed. I searched around and eventually cut through the woods, climbing over tree trunks and jumping over streams back to the Rt 443. I did not see any evidence of a trail other than the one I was initially on. Darkness was rapidly approaching so I was hurrying and did not have much time. I went back today and was a bit more thorough but did not have any more success. Only in a couple of places did I see a site that looked like a reasonably good place for a block house but nothing that resembled the description given in the fort site commission report.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Elderly Gentlemen told be it was down that path
past the sign.

& that there is a Marker.
But that was Pretty much all he said,