What's new

Manos Polishing Stones All Shapes & Sizes Lets see 'em

Saguache

Full Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
120
Reaction score
320
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found hundreds of stones that show wear from rubbing or grinding, so many that I only keep the really nice examples any more. I don't see many posts about them but they are a main part of any camp site around here.
My question to you guys is why do some have flat sides and others are rounded, how is that done? It takes a lot of rubbing to grind down a rock.

DSC06433.webp
lg and small, all show use

DSC06434.webp
enlongated odd shapes

DSC06435.webp
My friend called these thin flat ones "coasters" I've found then down to button size.

DSC06436.webp
Three very nice ones I found at a camp on the upper Rio Grande last week while gathering medicine.
Also a unique graving[?]tool.

DSC06444.webp
The medicine wheel with its variety of campsite artifacts
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Man what a pile of 'em you have. I've only found one and it may be dual purpose as a mano/hammer and of course, it's quartz. Here's several shots of it...
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1492.webp
    DSCN1492.webp
    339.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN1493.webp
    DSCN1493.webp
    327.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN1494.webp
    DSCN1494.webp
    363.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN1495.webp
    DSCN1495.webp
    376.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1495a.webp
    DSCN1495a.webp
    326.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN1496.webp
    DSCN1496.webp
    292.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1497.webp
    DSCN1497.webp
    279.8 KB · Views: 70
My two full ones
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563912071.433060.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563912088.293338.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563912113.701066.webp
A hide processing stone
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563912285.118768.webp
And a tiny metate? I dunno about this one but I’ve kept it around because it at least looks like one
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1563912303.260266.webp
 
I have a pile of them also but can't do photo's cuzz I don't know how. I quit picking up the one sided ones a couple of years ago. What I would like to find is a mano on one side and a shaft straighter on the other. I have seen them in museums. Very nice examples above.
 
I have an outdoor collection of stone artifacts .
 

Attachments

  • P6010819.webp
    P6010819.webp
    373.4 KB · Views: 77
A few Manos, Metates, Hammerstones, Pitted Stones, Peck Stones, etc laying around the flower beds.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    832.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    916.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
Hard to compete with those, but here are a few i have laying around out front.

1C27AC8C-49D5-4621-B124-8A7516EAF160.webp
 
Compared to those great gardens I guess I have more of a patch but there might be a couple in thereImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564021248.508528.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom