Marathon Monday at the beach

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't been to the beach in over a year. I figured I'd give it a try since my daughter just started pre-k and I had the day to myself. Add to that I saw 2 ads in the lost and found section of the newspaper for lost rings at this beach. Add an element of danger with a tropical storm in the area. How could I resist? I got on to the beach right at 8 a.m. Light rain and a little wind to start the hunt, no problem. I had a rain jacket and a cover for my control box. There was a lot of erosion due to the pounding waves. The runoff from the parking lots were creating mini rivers leading back to the gulf. Surprisingly, there were quite a few people on the beach for such a dark and dismal day. There were quite a few surfers trying to catch the 2-3 foot waves that were rolling in. I saw 4 other MD'ers on the same stretch of beach. 1 in particular looking in the same area where 1 of the rings were advertised to have been lost. I got there just as he was starting, he was working one end of the area me the other. It seemed kind of like a race for the ring at least to me it did. He didn't have headphones so I could hear when his machine found something. After a short search he started to head north and I overlapped where he was hunting headed south. There were about a half dozen shallow holes with bottle caps next to them. >:( >:(. So I went ahead and picked up the bottle caps and filled the holes. He was pretty far up the beach by then. Good riddance. Not long after the wife calls just to see how the tropical storm was treating me. She ends the phone call with "don't stay out all day" That was at 11 a.m. or so I thought ;D It turns out it was 3 p.m. Between the dark clouds, the lack of sun to judge the time and being so focused on the hunt I lost track of time. A while later I was getting tired so I decided to call it a day. I get in the car and the time on my radio says 8:44, holy crap. For those of you keeping track, that's 12 hours and 44 minutes of hunting. What did I find you ask? $7.26 in clad consisting of 17 quarters,11 nickels,20 dimes and 46 pennies but none of the advertised rings, bummer.

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I think my arm would fall off detecting that long,
must be getting old I guess.
Too bad on not digging the rings.
That other bugger probably found one of them
and seeing he is trashy TH'er would probably keep it,
hope not (thinking positive)

Best of luck to you!

Smiles!
BDoo

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Holy Hunting Batman, that IS a marathon hunt!

Now you've got me wondering what the longest I ever stayed out was.... >rubbing chin while making this face: ::)<

Thanks for picking up the caps. :)

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boobydoo said:
I think my arm would fall off detecting that long,
must be getting old I guess.
Too bad on not digging the rings.
That other bugger probably found one of them
and seeing he is trashy TH'er would probably keep it,
hope not (thinking positive)

Best of luck to you!

Smiles!
BDoo
My arm couldn't fall off, Boobydoo, I had to work the next day ;D. My legs felt like they weighed 100 lbs a piece, though.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlw67 said:
Holy Hunting Batman, that IS a marathon hunt!

Now you've got me wondering what the longest I ever stayed out was.... >rubbing chin while making this face: ::)<

Thanks for picking up the caps. :)
You betcha, I didn't want to find those caps on my next trip. ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thats a nice amount of change and a great day at the beach....I lose all track of time when hunting and is usually late when I realize the time...dang ,.....then have to walk out in the dark.....Have headlamp now! :)

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should of acted like you found one of the rings and when he came over to see what you found tell him he forgot to pick up his bottlecaps ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so was the couch confy?12 hours at the beach man you should walk "the lane" what machine you use....

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTAx 400 DUH ::)

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreenMeanie said:
Should of acted like you found one of the rings and when he came over to see what you found tell him he forgot to pick up his bottlecaps ;)
The thought crossed my mind but when I first saw him, he looked and I waved to him and got no response. I didn't wanna waste any time.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dekalb33 said:
so was the couch confy?12 hours at the beach man you should walk "the lane" what machine you use....
No couch, straight to shower then to bed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread