Masonic Columbus Georgia "Chapter Penny" 1842

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
front.JPG back.JPG I’ve been hunting a few old home sites lately with GaRebel1861 and fyrffytr1 and dug this neat Masonic “chapter penny”. It is made out of copper material and is a bit larger than a modern half dollar. With a Magnifying glass I can read the following: Darley Chapter No. 7 R.A.M. Columbus, Georgia Chapter 1842. The letters are in a circle “H.T.W.S.S.T.K.S.” I did a bit of research and found out R.A.M. stands for Royal Arch Mason, and the circular letters are said to be the mark of the order's ancient Grand Master, and to stand for, "Hiram The Widow's Son Sent To King Solomon". The really interesting part is this….the small space within the lettered circle is reserved for the member's own "mark"— i.e.,initial(s) or some other personal symbol. Because of that, a token of this type is also known as a "mark penny." I can make out a name of AUTHUR ROBERTS – the last name is a bit of a struggle to read. Really ‘neat’ find as fyrffytr1 says, and I agree! This is my first 'personalized' find, has anybody else ever found one of these?

Upvote 12
OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post it cjon.....
I'd like to see it

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea that's a nice one also! Mine gave a really nice signal with my metal detector!! I bet yours did too! Thank you for sharing sir!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the token and love that it is personalized. Makes it much more interesting to me. Congrats.

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree beez0404, that personalized touch adds much character, I'm still searching for the person's history.

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Coinman, I'd love to find one of your finds, a 1723 Hibernia half penny is an outstanding find! We don't see those down here in south georgia!

molonlabe12

Dec 27, 2014
Columbus ga
Detector(s) used
At pro
Garret carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I live in columbus and im new to MD. Can anyone point me into the right direction? Other diggers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread