Masonic Columbus Georgia "Chapter Penny" 1842

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
front.JPG back.JPG I’ve been hunting a few old home sites lately with GaRebel1861 and fyrffytr1 and dug this neat Masonic “chapter penny”. It is made out of copper material and is a bit larger than a modern half dollar. With a Magnifying glass I can read the following: Darley Chapter No. 7 R.A.M. Columbus, Georgia Chapter 1842. The letters are in a circle “H.T.W.S.S.T.K.S.” I did a bit of research and found out R.A.M. stands for Royal Arch Mason, and the circular letters are said to be the mark of the order's ancient Grand Master, and to stand for, "Hiram The Widow's Son Sent To King Solomon". The really interesting part is this….the small space within the lettered circle is reserved for the member's own "mark"— i.e.,initial(s) or some other personal symbol. Because of that, a token of this type is also known as a "mark penny." I can make out a name of AUTHUR ROBERTS – the last name is a bit of a struggle to read. Really ‘neat’ find as fyrffytr1 says, and I agree! This is my first 'personalized' find, has anybody else ever found one of these?

Upvote 12

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh really? That's cool! It would be nice to trace the name. I'm really struggling with that last name. Since you don't like me any more, LOL, I'd like you to look at it under the microscope since I've got it cleaned up. I'm having a hard time zooming in with my camera / lighting for a clear reading......

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy I only half like you now but I will still say that is a very cool find! The masons in my opinion are the most interesting organization with an incredible history. Anyone that hasn't read about the Masons and their history should do so. I'm assuming those are probably few and far between and will be curious to see what you find out about it. Good luck half-friend, Abe

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way,
I did a search and found an Arthur Roberts that was in the CSA, Co D.47th regiment, Georgia Infantry. Maybe we can tie that to Andersonville?! Oh yeah, I don't like you or GaRebel anymore! 1842 was the year the Columbus chapter was founded. Did I tell you i don't like you?

https://familysearch.org/search/rec..._place:Starkville~ +residence_year:1825-1935~

I'm just nibby, could you explain to me why you don't like him anymore, ha? I'm not too fast anymore, so you all might be too fast for me?

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. MANY years ago I was able to hunt a home near Lebanon TN and got a 3rd Degree Masonic token form the mid 1800's and was able to immediately find who the individual was as the family had occupied the residence since 1824 and they were a direct descendant of the individual. Of coarse I returned it to them. Never before or since have I hunted it's rival on the sheer number of 1800's coins. It was the oldest standing structure in Wilson County. Would love to see if it is still there and occupied as it was in pretty bad shape yet still occupied in the late 1980's. The masonic stuff is among my favorite stuff to find as I am a Mason and nearly all politicians and ranking military were members until the last few decades.

bluelodge

Dec 29, 2013
arkansas
Detector(s) used
white pro 800 garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"so mote it be" brother-from bluelodge

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ahab8, I've started looking into the Mason history, and they've been around awhile. I am mostly into coins, but when this guy popped out of the dirt, I could not identify it which made it more exciting! It's a neat first-of-a-kind find for me, and that's what I love about this hobby! Hope you are doing well! 'Half-friends' haha.......I get it! :laughing7:

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing TNGUNS, Guys like you are educating me on the history of this masonic 'penny'...:icon_thumleft:.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ahab8, I've started looking into the Mason history, and they've been around awhile. I am mostly into coins, but when this guy popped out of the dirt, I could not identify it which made it more exciting! It's a neat first-of-a-kind find for me, and that's what I love about this hobby! Hope you are doing well! 'Half-friends' haha.......I get it! :laughing7:
Yeah I'm really mad at all of my friends in the warmer climates! It was -8 this morning without the wind chill here in tropical Maine. It's fun having a chance of digging colonial items but the snow and the cold and 4 months minimum of no treasure hunting is not much fun buddy. Let me know what you find out on that thing. I'm a builder and some of the work and symbolism the Masons used is absolutely amazing!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great middle,West Ga find .LOL

A very interesting piece & it cleaned up very well
Congratz,...Davers

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just nibby, could you explain to me why you don't like him anymore, ha? I'm not too fast anymore, so you all might be too fast for me?

fyrffytr1 always says that when he gets showed up on a hunt. He is kidding with wayfas4u.

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a Token expert friend helped me solve this, best guess 1900 time frame!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a keeper for sure, nice to something different.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice masonic item , heres my old masonic ring to go along with it.
3_31_2012 2 Mring front.JPG 3_31_2012 mring back.JPG

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy finding unusual items

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a really nice ring you got there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread