Massachusetts find. (Atlatl point?)

Woodshunter80

Greenie
Oct 28, 2013
Western Mass. (Berkshires)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if someone here could help me out with this point. I found it a couple of years ago while metal detecting a field in the Connecticut Valley of Massachusetts. I'm thinking it's an atlatl point, but I'm hoping someone can help pin down not just its usage, but also too its general age and possibly the geographic origin of the rock it was made from. The point is 2 1/4" in length and is razor sharp. Whoever made this must have been massively skilled. Too bad it broke at some point! ...Thanks for looking.

IMG_5840.JPG IMG_5864.JPG

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by the size it's more than likely a small Dart type Point and probably used with an Atl Atl, so in essence an Atl Atl Point I guess.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice point. It's made of Normanskill Chert, from a source about 110km west of where you found it.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the style of point you have is called an Eshback Point. They date from the late Archaic period, 5500-3500BP. It could also be a Jacks Reef with a broken base. Those are the best matches I can find.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, i am aware of the restrictions by the corps, i would not risk digging into the middens, but they are an indication of the large population that lived along the river.I was thinking more of hunting the adjacent farmland,if i could be lucky enough to obtain permission.I did read about the great flood we had a few years back washing away many of them though,so i guess the artifacts are laying in the mud at the bottom of the river now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions