Massive hoard of Roman-era silver coins unearthed in Germany

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Unlike the "emeralds cache", I don't think there can be any debate about this one. 5500+ silver 3rd century Roman coins found in a cache. That's gotta be worth some coin, pardon the pun. Leave out the Roman aspect and if I found this cache in the United States I would sell it on the private market, keeping a few souvenir coins for posterity. But since it was found in a European country, these be government coins now, baby! But in the interest of international conflict I think we have to ask: To which greedy government do these coins belong? The German government, since they were found in Germany? Or the Italian government, since they are Roman coins? Or, since they were found in a river, do they belong to Spain since we all know they have rights to everything found that can in any way be remotely connected to a shipwreck? I think it would be hilarious if someone who did a "23 and Me" test turned out to be a descendant of the Roman emperor at the time and filed a claim for them. But on the other hand, between Germany, Italy and Spain I'm sure the income and other taxes are murder. They would probably even get hit with 1800 years of back taxes. Link below with one nice pic:

Massive hoard of Roman-era silver coins unearthed in Germany

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions