Maybe too early to tell, but I think my Coiltek 10 x 5 will stay on my 800

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the 800 stock coil, 6" coil, have had the 15" coil and now the Coiltek 10 x 5. I think it will stay on it for a while. Most of my finds are not really that deep, I would say 4" - 6" range. Well within the range of the 10 x 5" coil.
It is so good around rocks, brush, small clumps of trees. Feels so good on my 800. Got my 2nd silver washington quarter the other day. First one was 2 years ago. This one was only about 4-5" down. Sweet coil.

feistypea

Aug 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear! I am having a really hard time finding one in stock in the US.

I would really love to have a smaller coil in most of the places I have hunted, tons of junk, iron, and obstacles. I am tempted to buy a 6 inch round, but really trying to hold out for the 5x10. Will see if I make it. [emoji4]

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have the 800 stock coil, 6" coil, have had the 15" coil and now the Coiltek 10 x 5. I think it will stay on it for a while. Most of my finds are not really that deep, I would say 4" - 6" range. Well within the range of the 10 x 5" coil.
It is so good around rocks, brush, small clumps of trees. Feels so good on my 800. Got my 2nd silver washington quarter the other day. First one was 2 years ago. This one was only about 4-5" down. Sweet coil.

I want to hear that the 10x5 can detect 7 & 8 & possibly 9 inch dimes. My 6" ML coil does. I just don't want to find out the "5" label means 5 inches in real depth.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d sure like to try one of these coils. I’m not pleased though with the manufacturing business models that get everyone excited about a new product then wait to get them out to the retailers. It’s a little off putting.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We See great performance on the Minelab Equinox 6" Smart coil. They separate trash VERY VERY well, don't count them out! Cheaper to!

Nothing wrong with the performance of th 6" round. But the form factor is horrible for swing coverage except in very specific situations and that's why Coiltek can't keep up with the 5x10's demand (and 6" coils are readily available). I have no idea why ML picked that form factor over a smallish elliptical coil and why Coiltek seemed to be caught off guard on the demand knowing the huge number of Equinox users out there (exacerbated by global supply chain issues for the electronics chips in the all the Equinox coils). The user preference for such a coil as the Nox 5x10 is no secret to any manufacturer who is even superficially plugged in to their customer base.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Smart coil"? What's that all about, Bart? Its different than the standard 6" Equinox coil? Or is my 6" coil also "smart"?

Just marketing speak for the fact that the coil has an electronics chip in it that the Equinox uses to confirm that a Nox compatible coil is connected. Prevents 3rd party coil manufacturers from trying to sell coils with substandard performance or compatibility issues with multi-frequency because if they don't have the chip then the Nox will throw a coil error and will not work. ML apparently licensed use of the compatibility chip to Coiltek to enable them to be able to market additional accessory coils for the Equinox perhaps to a design spec to ensure compatibility and performance standards and probably enables ML to get a slice of the Coiltek Nox coil sales action. All authorized Equinox compatible coils have these chips whether they are manufactured by ML or Coiltek.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well it is not too early anymore. The 5x10 coil stays on my 800. Been hunting my supper trashy park by the river around the picnic tables. An I mean super trashy. Increased my recovery speed to 7, dropped my sensitivity down to about 18, FE2 at zero and started finding the coins left and right. Yeah, just clad, but old corroded clad. Most coins were found 3-4" deep. I also have been using my threshold to give me a picture of what is under my coil. More targets, higher speed lower sensitivity. Get to an area of the park where the targets are fewer, decrease the recovery speed to 4-5 and increase my sensitivity as much as possible and start finding deeper targets. I now use the threshold as a kind of audio gauge to determine how to set up my 800. So far works like a charm. Prior to a couple of weeks ago, never used the audio threshold.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing wrong with the performance of th 6" round. But the form factor is horrible for swing coverage except in very specific situations and that's why Coiltek can't keep up with the 5x10's demand (and 6" coils are readily available). I have no idea why ML picked that form factor over a smallish elliptical coil and why Coiltek seemed to be caught off guard on the demand knowing the huge number of Equinox users out there (exacerbated by global supply chain issues for the electronics chips in the all the Equinox coils). The user preference for such a coil as the Nox 5x10 is no secret to any manufacturer who is even superficially plugged in to their customer base.

I honestly don't know if this is true but I have always speculated that Minelab was making a nugget sniping coil to go with their Gold mode.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Prevents 3rd party coil manufacturers from trying to sell coils with substandard performance

Is there a legit route for 3rd party coil manufacturers that want to sell an improved coil with above standard performance to take?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly don't know if this is true but I have always speculated that Minelab was making a nugget sniping coil to go with their Gold mode.

I do think that nugget hunting was the ML primary intended purpose for the 6? round, but even dedicated nugget hunters will say they prefer the elliptical form factor even for crevice detecting. It gives you more versatility for different situations without having to change out the coil. Yes, there are some tight spots more suited to the 6? round, but that is still relatively rare.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a legit route for 3rd party coil manufacturers that want to sell an improved coil with above standard performance to take?

Only if you consider cutting out the chip from ML coils and placing it in an external compatibility interface patch cable box so you can hook up your custom designed coil to the Nox as legit (yeah they are out there if you do some deep dives on the subject).

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 10x5 will not be coming off of my 800 any time soon.

Picked out 4 silver dimes at a well hunted local park yesterday. These were deep and produced a soft sound in about the 22-24 range which is not what I would expect from a dime. The first one made a soft sound a few times and then disappeared but I could still pinpoint it so I dug it. The next target was similar in sound but higher numbers and turned out to be a dime penny dime penny sandwich that was on edge. And the last one was again a soft sound with the lower than expected numbers.

All three targets were in the 8 inch range.

Other outings also produced multiple silvers in areas I had been previously. Yeah, I am impressed with this coil and need to modify my hunting style to match the improved capability.

Pic1A.jpg

Pic2.jpg

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today hunted for about 2 hours and then had some lunch and hunted for another two hours. My endurance has increased with lighter coil 10 x 5", lighter shaft Steve's Detector CF shafts and lighter shovel. They all add up to a more enjoyable hunting experience. The 10 x 5" coil is pretty good at pinpointing the target using the heel and toe method. The last two hours was in heavy brush and the coil is a lot better at reaching some tight spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread