MD elbow

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine has been like that for more than 10 years. If it is tendonitis, learn to live with it.
I saw a doctor about it and it was either physical therapy, or pain management.
I had to convert my CZ6 to a body mount but still have problems. Its funny though, it doesn't hurt as much if your finding good stuff as it does when your not finding anything. :P
Have a good one!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying this is a cure all, but go to a drug store and get u a tennis elbow support, like a flat strap with a ring on one end and velcro, strap that baby around ur forearm just below ur elbow and as directions show and see if it don`t help.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
At the vitamin store is a cream and a supplement called MSM (methylsulfonylmethane).
I have to tell you its a miracle cure.
The cream works right away , taking the pain away and allowing for better movement . The pills are great also and I had alot of shoulder pain and hand pain ,but after a week the pain totally went away . It is also good for stiff knees.
MSM ,from what I understand was originally taken from DMSO(dimethyl sulfoxide).....and DMSO was used on race horses who had leg and joint pain or swelling.
I dont care....all I know is that it works and that the people who I have told that use it ...love it .

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Gypsy,
If it was made for a horse, no wonder it works for a thoroughbred like you...
grizzly bare

S

stefen

Have used DMSO with aspirin and it takes it thru to the muscles affected.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
elbow brace(i bought mine for 3 bucks)and slow down whipping you arm around doesn't help either

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
WHOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dmso they (i think) made terpentine out of it its from (stop me if Im in correct ) made from a tree sap anywho found out the stuff caused cancer thats why they took if off the market
owning race and jumper horses my farm manager and a few others used it all the time eventually applying i to their aches an pains wasnt long before it became popular ( sold in candy an like stores) eventually all the trainers an managers at least I knew that used it religiously died of cancer soon others that used it all the time died also so they took it off the market be aware that this may also be carcengetic (sp??)

now we can find support for this (same arguement as cigaretts ) but as for me I dont smoke nor take anything I can buy at a feed an grain or hardware store AMEN!!!!!!!!!

get a sholder swing support for the MD dont mess with that nasty stuff

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wrist normally hurts the most from cutting plugs - I take a little tiger balm and rub it in real good, it heats up and relieves the pain. If that doesen't work, I take a pill. ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hold your horses......I dont know where youget that it has been taking off the market.But we are talking MSM.
But as far as DMSO goes.....DMSO is widely used because of its ability to be taken through the skin and directly to cells. It was even considered as a treatment for cancer at one time.

Medical-grade DMSO is safe, and is widely used in medical processes. DMSO is the chemical used to protect human tissue (such as bone marrow, stem cells and embryos) when frozen for storage. It’s also an FDA-approved prescription drug (called Rimso) given by catheter for interstitial cystitis, a painful bladder condition.

Some have shown DMSO can relieve muscle and joint pain; reduce inflammation; soften collagen to relieve scleroderma symptoms; help heal skin ulcers caused by diabetes and scleroderma; and relieve blood vessel constrictions common to Raynaud’s phenomenon. Other research has suggested it may help prevent brain damage after stroke or head injuries. And it appears to have few side effects, even at very high dosages.

But in the mid-’60s, DMSO fell out of favor with the FDA during its testing phase when an animal study, using high doses, showed changes in the lens of the eye. (There have, however, been no reports of problems with eyes of participants in human studies.)

DMSO’s ability as a solvent to transport molecules across cell membranes was also a potential problem. It meant that when used topically DMSO could carry anything - including toxins - straight through the skin and directly into the body.
Some cancer researchers believe it has a useful place in the treatment of many cancers in that it potentiates other forms of therapy. It decreases the need for insulin in 25% of juvenile onset diabetics. Other uses of DMSO include: tic doloreaux, headache, various skin diseases including herpes, cataracts and glaucoma, retinal degeneration, scleroderma, shingles, bunions, calluses, fungus toenails and asthma. These comments only scratch the surface of the possible medical uses of DMSO.

Despite this, the FDA refuses to approve the use or prescription of DMSO for anything other than interstitial cystitis in all but eight of our fifty states! All of this in spite of the fact that DMSO is safer than aspirin. Many people have died from taking aspirin. Not one person has ever died from DMSO.

Enter MSM

Meanwhile, researchers at OHSU continued to study DMSO, they found that 15 percent of DMSO was broken down into another sulfur compound in the human body. The compound, which they called MSM, had many of the helpful qualities of DMSO, with some distinct advantages: It lacked the distinctive oyster-garlic smell; it didn’t have the sullied history of DMSO; and it could be sold directly to consumers as a dietary supplement. Plus it is available in creams and lotions as welll as over the counter pill form.

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
How do you suppose MSM would work for chronic back pain? I'm thinking of my father and a buddy...

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I too suffer from the elbow problem,it was addressed in another thread this summer. One guy suggested using some sort of thing you get at a bowling alley that will isolate and restrict movement of the elbow putting mor of the load on the upper arm. Gypsy is just a geyser or wonderful information,I thought the tax credit was news but now this MSM. ive never heard of it and Ive allready had cancer so Im going to run out and buy some of it and give it a shot,will also let ya know how it works on a sore back...Shoot

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Here is what I do know for a fact.
MSM worked miracles on my shoulder and hands. I also rub it on my knees.I couldnt lift my right shoulder without pain...this continued for about three months before I started taking MSM. I would cry in bed at night if I rolled onto it wrong. After MSM ....NO PAIN
Then, Grandpa had a torn rotary cuff and has had his hip replaced three times. He was having so much pain in his shoulder that he couldnt shift the truck. I gave him a bottle of MSM plus the cream...and he has been pain free for the past two months,even went on hunting drives this last month with no discomfort.

I also know that DMSO worked on the horses on our farm.
No one in our family has had cancer nor any of the workers who were around the liquid that I know of for the past twenty years., It is sold by gallon jugs at the feed mill or farm supply.
So, how does DMSO work? For one thing it neutralizes hydroxyl radicals. "So what?" you say? It turns out hydroxyl free radicals are the predominant cause of pain and inflammation in arthritis. Although DMSO is not known to cure cancer, it is true hydroxyl free radicals are present in cancer and in atherosclerosis. Hydroxyl radicals also are known to be produced in lipid peroxidation, which is thought to be the source of many degenerative diseases.

It also turns out DMSO is more "liquid" than water, and it can therefore penetrate to places in the body nothing else can reach so fast. DMSO substitutes for water and moves rapidly through cell membranes. It has been called "water's alter ego." This ability probably is what makes DMSO so unique as to be an entirely new therapeutic principle.

I would say its either going to work or its not and that you should tell your doctor what you are doing. And If after two weeks to a month if you dont see an improvement ,then discontinue as it obviously doesnt work for you.
Alot of scientific studies say that it doesnt work on chronic arthritis...but people who use it says it does....So guess I am going to believe the people who were in pain.
I am not a doctor, but I do know enough to research and study different things. I always take the herbal or natural remedy route 99 %of the time.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Change your digging tool. Use a matox type pick of shovel. Stay away from the digging knife for a while if that's what's causing the tendonitis.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Tabfry said:
How do you suppose MSM would work for chronic back pain? I'm thinking of my father and a buddy...

I dunno, but it sure sounds good to me.

I have used something called "CMO" - stands for Cetyl Metyl(?)stoleate for the arthritis in my spine. It's worked wonders for a lot of people, including me. You can google it, I have, and it's really amazing. It's not cheap, but not that much more expensive than the copay for the stuff the docs had me on (that was yanked from the market - yikes).

best of luck with your research,
Nan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread