Measuring triangles

Desert Rat 53

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2008
I have three rocks I believe to make a triangle but I need to know the proper way to figure out how exactly you would go about measuring and which of the three rocks you go off with the measurements to find what it is that it's pointing out. I know you measure the distance between the three and add them together but do you use one of the rocks or is it you go from the center of the triangle of these rocks? Any help will be deeply appreciated. DR53

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
How big is the triangle??
Any pictures ?
what led you to it?
are there stones of the same size in line with any of the corner stones?

Have you tried to find the center of this triangle?

Pictures please. ???

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
the one and only triangle, i located comprised of four drill holes. four drill holes? yes four. first i located a drill hole about one to two inches wide. 12 inches deep.it was situated on the highest point of a large boulder projecting from the ground. the second one i located was exactle due west 66 yards apart. this one was also situated at very top of large boulder. one inch wide one inch deep. i pulled a string from hole to hole. this string very narrowly missed other boulders it seemed in one instance a notch was cut to allow the string to pass by. if this was surveyed it was done by chains. possibly explaining a carving of three chain links. the third hole i located was situated half way between these previous two but south which formed a triangle east west and south points. the south point when i used a tape measure was off by one yard. 47 and 49 yards. this meant it wasnt a perfect 90 degree corner. i had a survey crew shoot the points. while we confirmed it wasnt correct i reached down to the ground and said if it were exactly 46.669 yards it would land about in this general area. i pulled up the leaves and bingo the hidden drill hole appeared making four drill holes with a false southern hole.this is how i measured it. kiddrock33

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread