What's new

Medallion ID needed

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure what is is or what it reads. Something to do with Baptism perhaps? It's a little bigger than an American cent.

Any Ideas on age?

Copper.
 

Attachments

  • PICT0006.webp
    PICT0006.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 297
  • PICT0005.webp
    PICT0005.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 268
Very nice ! I can't offer any ID . I am curious 2 what others say :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Part of a rosary? :dontknow:

Scott
 
Upvote 0
I can only say it is John The Baptist,
which you probably Knew.
Lettering looks cyrillic possibly Greek.
A really nice find!
Greek for baptism is βάπτισμα, guess it's another language.

while researching, this came up, completely unrelated I know.
Imagine, all these Items are just 'Missing'
http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/11/2006/hm11_1_167_1.html
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 11-17 001.5.webp
    nc finds 11-17 001.5.webp
    4.2 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 0
Looks like a Greek-Orthodox medal of some sort.

The characters are Greek (not Cyrillic from what I can tell):

B A Pi T I Sigma I Sigma ==> BAPTISIS

Other side:

Gamma E N N I Sigma I Sigma ==> GENNISIS (Genesis)
 
Upvote 0
its all greek to me but seriously cool find
 
Upvote 0
:icon_scratch:

What doe's the back image look like :icon_scratch: it looks a little like the Ferryman image :dontknow:, perhaps related to Birth and Passing :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking Russian Orthodox medal/pendant. John the Baptist on one side. Any chance there is a guy on a horse on the other side? Maybe St. George?

:dontknow:

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Hi Matt!

If Russian-Orthodox I would have expected the lettering to be Cyrillic: B would look different, I would be a backwards N, and Sigma would be a C. These characters are from the Greek alphabet, not the Cyrillic. Hope this helps!

DCMatt said:
I'm thinking Russian Orthodox medal/pendant. John the Baptist on one side.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
I'm thinking Russian Orthodox medal/pendant. John the Baptist on one side. Any chance there is a guy on a horse on the other side? Maybe St. George?

:dontknow:

DCMatt
Hi Matt,

Long time buddy. I looked at it just now under the loupe. I see Joeseph on his knees Mary next to him. My buddy Jesus is in the middle as a baby. There are 2 cows looking in from the sides. Let's take a guess and say mid to late 1800's? I'll green check it
 
Upvote 0
Sounds like a Greek-Orthodox medal depicting the birth and baptism of Christ.
 
Upvote 0
Nice Old Find Mike!:thumbsup:
The kinda stuff I love, doesn't have to be coin or button or precious metal, it's all in the history :hello2:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom