Meet other MN Hunters

I had previously detected some of the police station area for a few yrs at the 3 story yellow brick house (Mansion-?) after I had permission from the owner. Then the fence went up....but ol' Goose still entered, and staying a little concealed by bushes on 11 th Av, I detected the hair salon and real estate bldg areas AFTER the bldgs were dumped (bulldozed). The hair salon area produced many Wheaties and a few war (silver) nickels. As the foundation was being dug, the security fence was really secured (except in one place -heh-heh) but I didn't detect the area anymore.

As for other areas in St Cloud going under construction, I find out where and when about 6 weeks before construction begins and then just keep my eyes open. I know most of the contractors on the various jobs, and they generally let me detect AWAY from the areas that they are working on. Now this coming yr, there is another neighborhood 'biggie' and I hope the present U S financial situation doesn't scrub the proposed construction.

As I said before, I might be a little above other detectorers (detectorists are female) but I try and that is all that can be expected. I do detect 4-5 nights a week during the summer....5:30/6:00pm to around 7:30/8:00pm.....it's cooler then. Goose.

Goose-O, That US belt buckle you found?; did you ever think about trying find out how it got there? Did someone who lived on the property, perhaps a former land/house owner loose it? Was the person who lost it, a soldier in the civil war? I dont know if possible, and am sure would entail lots of research. But maybe checking all previous period land/house owners against a roster of civil war soldiers produce a common name? Just a thought.

Now that is a good idea O H C H. I believe I'll look into it, I never thought about that. It was found in Benton Co., so I'll have to go to Foley to look up who owned the house before a church bought the house and lot.

i detect central mn -i collect old store and bar tokens i'd like to trade or buy any tokens you want to or just see them and chat mike r history etc thanks!!!!!!!! hope to hear from other mn or dakota trade token collecters

I detect after the ground is torn up around construction sites. My favorite sites are where old neighborhoods are torn up for new services.....new water mains, sanitary, curbs, sidewalks, etc. The ground is really torn up. The best area is between the curb and the sidewalk, and IF the sidewalk is torn up, I detect the area where the sidewalk were laid. Around 10% of my Indian Head cents were found there.

Every early April, I go to the engineering dept. of a local city and ask where the coming year's construction will take place. They tell me AND give me a marked map of the area. Normally, I cruise the city's neighborhoods to look for markings on the street.....various paint colors -- red (electric), green (sanitary), blue (water), yellow (natural gas), etc. knowing that this area was marked for future Reconstruction. Even though I haven't been into the city's office yet, I know where a section of an old neighborhood will be torn up this coming summer (1890s neighborhood).

In cruising, I also notice buildings being demolished. After workmen leave, I detect the area. Now in large cities, cruising wouldn't be possible. The main city I detect in only has a population of 65K and the older part is approx. 1 mile X 1 mile.

Hi:

I'm Steve (skyshoe). I live in Elk River, but I am currently on Active Duty in Balad, Iraq. I have been detecting since 1976, and I do both on land and underwater detecting.

I will be picking up where I left off sometime in May.

See you out there !

Skyshoe

hi all,
i live on a farm in east central mn. was born in same house that i now live in. place was built by a great uncle of mine in the mid 1800's. totally amazing what collects under ground after 150 years.

You are quite fortunate in living there. What have you found in the area? I only live about 80 miles west of you near St Cloud.

I have found almost anything you can think of, guns, car parts, coins, machinery, stove. etc. all but uncle Henrey's money. He was a single man and paid for this old house with one crop of potatoes, so I'm guessing he must have stashed some away somewhere. Kind of fun just looking around the old place. there are several other old farms in the area that I would also like to look on, just can't get the time or energy any more.

All of your posts I see is one from yesterday and 2 from today. Anyhow, I hope you find Uncle Henery's stash...keep looking.

Hi, I'm Jeff and I live in the Litchfield area. This is my first post here, but I've been lurking
around here for a while. Picked up my first detector today (Minelab X-Terra 50) and had a
chance to dig a few holes in my backyard. Pretty sure my wife thinks I've lost it, but our two
daughters and I had a blast digging up junk! :thumbsup:

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the Sioux Uprising, etc. There was a fair amount
of activity in this area. I've got permission to MD one farm for sure so far and have leads on
two or three more. I can see myself getting into the relic hunting pretty heavy, but wouldn't
mind finding a cache of gold and silver either. :wink: Looking forward to learning how to use
the machine I have and learning more about the history of my area.

Anyway, that's a little bit about me. If anyone is getting together for a group hunt in the near
future, give me a shout. I'd like to meet some other "hunters".

Later.....

Willy, stay tuned to these Minn. postings. This morn I ventured out to an old farm place to detect with a guy who is from the St Cloud area....as am I. Maybe we'll get up a little group to detect on a schedule either down your way or up our way. I'm leaving Wednesday for a 3 day hunt in Michigan, and when I get back, I'll look at this section of Minn. posts to see what is going on. Goose/Cy-Sartell

I'm originally from MN, Windom area, and I plan on getting up there in June. I'll be around the Slayton area, but will travel to LeCenter to see family.
If anybody wants to get together and do some MDing with me, let me know I'm sure we can work something out

Sniffer

Sniffer said:
I'm originally from MN, Windom area, and I plan on getting up there in June. I'll be around the Slayton area, but will travel to LeCenter to see family.
If anybody wants to get together and do some MDing with me, let me know I'm sure we can work something out

Sniffer

Back in the 70's when I lived in Omaha, we would drive to Paynesville, MN to visit with my Grandparents and I always remember passing through Windom on the way. Just some trivia. Bryan

if you go that way you still have to. I can still remember the bumper sticker, "Pray for me, I drive highway 60"

Goose-0 said:
Willy, stay tuned to these Minn. postings. This morn I ventured out to an old farm place to detect with a guy who is from the St Cloud area....as am I. Maybe we'll get up a little group to detect on a schedule either down your way or up our way. I'm leaving Wednesday for a 3 day hunt in Michigan, and when I get back, I'll look at this section of Minn. posts to see what is going on. Goose/Cy-Sartell

Thanks for the offer, Goose. It would be fun to meet some other MDers and I could definitely use a few pointers. It's been a fun, but frustrating, first week metal detecting. Got out to a local park for 4 or 5 hours in the last two days -- found a lot of junk and a few cool pieces (only found two coins though). Just when I think I'm making progress out pops more junk. :icon_scratch: :tard: Anywho, let me know if you get something set up -- I'd be willing to head up your way as well.

Later.....Willy

I got back from my detecting trip in Michigan this afternoon.....a total of 1550 miles going around Lk Michigan on the south to Mich. and on the north coming back. I had a blast with about 65 hunters on a 4500 acre Boy Scout Camp. Over $130 in common change was found, much of it just laying on top of the ground. A lot of silver was found also, besides knives, tie slides (metal), a sterling B S ring, and much other stuff.

If anyone wants to venture to the St Cloud area, I have many areas to try ---- 2 blacksmith areas and a few torn up construction areas.
As for going down to Litchfield, just name it, I'll be there. Goose/Cy-Sartell

Goose:
When I get the garden all in, I'll be ready to help you with those tearups around St. Cloud. Picked up another $5 + in clad at a park in Olivia and the football field in Danube. These places replenish them selves every year. Lawnmower died yesterday and the grass is growing fast. Clutch/tranny went out. Have to take it in Monday........hope it isn't too serious. Found a heavy duty spring that was broken on the brake/clutch linkage, but can't tell where it was attached to. Found some clad at a rest stop in Illinois on way back from Owasippe Scout Reservation, so I ended up with $24.83 clad for the 2 1/2 days. Butch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back