Mel Fisher group is hiring divers

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taffi Fisher on FB posted this

The Mel Fisher group is hiring divers for the atocha and margarita sites.More info and Applications at the link.
Mel Fisher's Treasures is looking for a few new treasure divers to join our boat crew in Key West. If you're interested, please go to our website, Melfisher.com, for more information and the job application form. Email all inquires and resumes to [email protected]. Join the crew!

Today's the Day!

Join the crew

Last edited:

diver9

Greenie
Feb 7, 2013
Exeter NH
Detector(s) used
Edgetech 4125 side scan sonar and Humminbird 1197 side scan sonar
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very interesting post for a guy like me thank you.

Q: Any idea what it's like working for them?

You cam email me privately if you like at: [email protected]

Thank you.
HH

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diver9

Greenie
Feb 7, 2013
Exeter NH
Detector(s) used
Edgetech 4125 side scan sonar and Humminbird 1197 side scan sonar
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Part of the reason I dive is the adventure associated with it. This job the Fisher group offers should be very carefully considered. I don't need their job but it was interesting to ponder what they propose. And I'm not to trying to be critical but I see what I see.

My take, and this is only MY take, as others need to develop their own, is that this is one miserable job no matter how much you like diving and no matter how much upside there could be due to the 1/2 of one percent bonus which you may or may not ever see depending on what is found, if anything, during your tenure with them:

* Why require incorporation? I assume with confidence that it is an attempt not to make you an Employee, with its associated costs to the Employer (FICA); liability insurance, other benefit(s), possible Overtime pay, assorted labor laws etc..; I've read the IRS code for what constitutes an Independent Contractor (I'm one of them and have been for 35 years) and this gig may have issues as it pertains to Employee vs. I/C;

Requiring that you use all of your own gear except tanks clearly says to me "Independent Contractor". I'm surprised they don't require your own tanks
as well.

* You will spend approx. a week's pay just to incorporate ($450);

* You may need to follow OSHA commercial diving guidelines, which are extremely detailed-one might say, onerous; You should have your own Worker's Comp and Liability Insurance if my take on OSHA is correct; Even if it's not, you still need your own insurance; Who is going to pay if you get hurt/bent etc.?;

* 5-10 day stretches as sea, possibly to 14 days, working sun-up to sun-down? Assume an average of 7 days, sun-up to sun-down (14 hours+-)-that's a 98 hour work week divided by $450 = $4.59/hour-and that's before Income taxes; Not even minimum wage-pathetic pay for really hard work;

* For pay that bad one has to cook for the others? Clean toilets? Service the boat including grinding/chipping/painting? Sleep in a bunk with a tiny storage area for clothes?;

* Live on the boat 1 year minimum as there are no accomodations at all on land? In 2007 when I was diving the Keys I toured the Turtle Hospital in Marathon-and don't quote me on this but I swear I was told that some Employees lived on the premises because it was a former motel-that would work nicely for some of them for sure; Great idea-your own bed, shower etc.-certainly decent accomodations if you needed to live there;

Given that the Fishers must all be multi-millionaires each, it would be nice if they could buy a 4-family house somewhere or something to that effect for housing for the Independent Contractor/Employee or whatever you end up being; Considering that they provide nothing else besides $450/week in pay it's not too
much to ask for-a real roof over your head;

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Forgot about this. I guess if your interested in diving for treasure. Than this is a good place to get started. That's If your young. Sounds like they work you to death for your dream of maybe finding something that's been missed. You know what you will be doing in the winter time. Clipping and painting. 8-10 hours a day for $500 a week. On top of that. They have been hitting this wreck for years. The good part is they have or have been looking for other wrecks. If you prove yourself. Then their could be other jobs down the road. The $500 sounds OK. But it sounds like they want to work you to death for that $500. I would need questions answered before I jumped into this wagon. Might call to get some answers.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you hit the nail on the head. I would rather contract myself in their 8 mile area and enjoy myself. I think it takes away from diving which you do to enjoy. When you enjoy doing thing. Your better at it. If they bought a house and set it up for the crew. I would think that they could sell the house at a later date and make money on that. Like what you wrote. Nice job.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Part of the reason I dive is the adventure associated with it. This job the Fisher group offers should be very carefully considered. I don't need their job but it was interesting to ponder what they propose. And I'm not to trying to be critical but I see what I see.

My take, and this is only MY take, as others need to develop their own, is that this is one miserable job no matter how much you like diving and no matter how much upside there could be due to the 1/2 of one percent bonus which you may or may not ever see depending on what is found, if anything, during your tenure with them:

* Why require incorporation? I assume with confidence that it is an attempt not to make you an Employee, with its associated costs to the Employer (FICA); liability insurance, other benefit(s), possible Overtime pay, assorted labor laws etc..; I've read the IRS code for what constitutes an Independent Contractor (I'm one of them and have been for 35 years) and this gig may have issues as it pertains to Employee vs. I/C;

Requiring that you use all of your own gear except tanks clearly says to me "Independent Contractor". I'm surprised they don't require your own tanks
as well.

* You will spend approx. a week's pay just to incorporate ($450);

* You may need to follow OSHA commercial diving guidelines, which are extremely detailed-one might say, onerous; You should have your own Worker's Comp and Liability Insurance if my take on OSHA is correct; Even if it's not, you still need your own insurance; Who is going to pay if you get hurt/bent etc.?;

* 5-10 day stretches as sea, possibly to 14 days, working sun-up to sun-down? Assume an average of 7 days, sun-up to sun-down (14 hours+-)-that's a 98 hour work week divided by $450 = $4.59/hour-and that's before Income taxes; Not even minimum wage-pathetic pay for really hard work;

* For pay that bad one has to cook for the others? Clean toilets? Service the boat including grinding/chipping/painting? Sleep in a bunk with a tiny storage area for clothes?;

* Live on the boat 1 year minimum as there are no accomodations at all on land? In 2007 when I was diving the Keys I toured the Turtle Hospital in Marathon-and don't quote me on this but I swear I was told that some Employees lived on the premises because it was a former motel-that would work nicely for some of them for sure; Great idea-your own bed, shower etc.-certainly decent accomodations if you needed to live there;

Given that the Fishers must all be multi-millionaires each, it would be nice if they could buy a 4-family house somewhere or something to that effect for housing for the Independent Contractor/Employee or whatever you end up being; Considering that they provide nothing else besides $450/week in pay it's not too
much to ask for-a real roof over your head;

So you don't like the gig. That's fine, I'm sure the Fishers will have a stack of resumes to choose from.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sounds like a great gig for a tough person who loves diving........

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You mean someone actually gets paid to do all the sh*t we do for FREE?!!?

Actual money? Better than being paid with promises for 3 years. Weekly paychecks? The fisher family has always taken care of their divers. Good example for everyone

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread