Members vs Guest at 9:22 am EST

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty normal for forum websites like this. The majority of the "guests" are usually detected connections from search engines and bots rather than potential contributors who have decided not to sign up as members.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Majority of the guests are probably the banned/time outers just looking still.🤣

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people are just guests, afraid to sign up, but will read the posts, they are shy or intimidated by some of the posters, afraid they might be attack for asking basic questions.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check out a lot of sites dealing with bottles, antiques and so on, but rarely sign up. And some I did sign up for, but have now forgotten my password. Just not worth the hassle to retrieve passwords all the time, so I only lurk on most of the other sites.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup, even that so-called "friendly" website has a lot of jerks just looking to make snide remarks. Fortunately, you guys don't put up with trouble making trolls for very long.
Yes, I have seen some critical comments on all of our MD web sites responding to newbies considering the hobby that could be taken the wrong way. I have a thick skin, but have been called down accurately when I stated something that I believed was correct but was not. Some people cannot handle directness is my guess.

After you have been on these forums long enough you know the ones who think they know a lot about metal detecting, and then you also know who really knows what they are talking about and you can follow their advice.

I guess the scariest areas on these forums for a newbie when they see a "this dector vs that detector" battle raging on a thread. And boy did they rage when the Equinox was introduced and started selling. Thankfully that little war has ended quietly.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the reason I sometimes might seem a little harsh when someone attacks or makes snide remarks to new members. We always need new members and we don't want anyone running them off.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is the reason I sometimes might seem a little harsh when someone attacks or makes snide remarks to new members. We always need new members and we don't want anyone running them off.
We rarely take the time to thank the administrators for helping keep this an enjoyable forum. Especially keeping discussions from turning into arguments. Especially when politics creeps in. I know from my own experience, I have to watch myself and not get into anything political. We hear enough about politics everywhere else, and forums like this to me are a sane refugee from the everyday world. These forums are many things to me. a huge resource of helpful information on our hobby. A place to meet great people and are just plain fun. When I cannot get out to hunt, I am learning and enjoying metal detecting forums.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread