What's new

Memorial Day Hunt - too hot!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
6,338
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Hello!

Got to search my mom in law's yard for a bit on Monday. It was way too hot (95 degrees, the hottest Memorial day in history) so I only lasted 1/2 hour or so, searching her side yard. She lives in a house built in 1906.
Found 3 Wheats (and a few other coins) including a 1916 Wheat and some nice relics.
A really nice looking brass bell, a WW2 era toy indy car, a toy fighter jet, and an old pocket knife, rusted shut of course.
It was a fun but super sweaty time out there. Easy searching and digging. I could get used to that...lol.
Here's some pics of my finds.

Smiles!
BDoo
 

Attachments

  • May 29 finds 2.webp
    May 29 finds 2.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 535
  • May 29 finds 3.webp
    May 29 finds 3.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 526
Upvote 0
Looks good to me, there arnt many houses in our town that are that old.
 
Very nice, and for just a short period
of time.

Sure would think about getting back
out in that location.

have a good un............
 
Thanks muchly for all the friendly comments everyone.
Glad you enjoyed these meager finds,
hope your luck in all your hunts is good!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
Mirage said:
Be nice to your mother-in-law: looks like she has a great place to hunt! ;D ;D Some neat finds.

Gotta do your hunting early in the day. But sometimes a sweaty hunt is better than no hunt.

Mirage

My Mother In Law is great so it's no problem being nice.
Her place is always there to hunt and I will get back there for sure.

Thanks for the comment my friend!

BDoo
 
Monty said:
The plane is an F80 Shooting Star, Later renamed the T33. It was our first operational jet fighter after WWII. It is most often seen with two wing tip fuel tanks attached. After becoming obsolete, it was rebuilt into a two seater used for training Air Force pilots until the mid 60s. It was replaced as a trainer by our first supersonic trainer, the T38. I spent two years becoming very familiar with them while stationed at a pilot training base in Texas. I played with the same type die cast airplanes back in the 1950s when I was a tyke. Monty

Thanks for the info Monty,
yes, now that I see it, it does appear to be later than WW2.
But you had hands on the real thing. How cool!! Impressive my friend, thanks!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
And ain't it hot! :D I went out this morning....but not quite early enough! Whew! Only lasted an hour! :D I may have to get out just a bit earlier! :P

Those are some really great finds Scooby!!!! Love the toys!

Smiling!

;)
 
Thanks Nana

It's supposed to cool down a bit here and we have had some rain this week.
Good conditions for digging! Best of luck to you!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
8) I know what you mean. My son marched in three parades and I did not know what time to pick him up so I hunted the school. I 1 25cent by the sun hitting it. and dug 6 pennines. Got a little sunburn. I think the temp. on the bank was a little off but it was 100 and latter it was 101. Definitely Too much sun (Heat). Not sure how long I was out maybe 1 to 1/2 hr. RC
 
Wow, great finds. I know what you mean by being hot. As you can see from my
finds from Saturday, Cannon Ball?, it was hotter than heck here in Ohio also. My
partner and I were hunting in a field and it had a small creek running through it,
and I just about took a dip in the creek. We hunted for over 2 hrs and I was
wipped.

Nice finds, love the plane and car. It dosn't get any better than that in a 1/2 hr.

HH, Ringfinder
 
RC KID said:
8) I know what you mean. My son marched in three parades and I did not know what time to pick him up so I hunted the school. I 1 25cent by the sun hitting it. and dug 6 pennines. Got a little sunburn. I think the temp. on the bank was a little off but it was 100 and latter it was 101. Definitely Too much sun (Heat). Not sure how long I was out maybe 1 to 1/2 hr. RC

Hi RC
Wow, doing the parade thing must have been grueling for them as it was steaming by 11am. My hats off to them.
Thanks for the visit and Michigander comment.

Smiles!
BDoo
 
fleamistress said:
Anybody ever try the cabbage leaf under the cap trick?
Well, I did hunt in the shaded areas of the side yard at least. I forgot my cabbage but did have abig ice cream sundae for desert.

Smiles!
BDoo
 
ringfinder said:
Wow, great finds. I know what you mean by being hot. As you can see from my
finds from Saturday, Cannon Ball?, it was hotter than heck here in Ohio also. My
partner and I were hunting in a field and it had a small creek running through it,
and I just about took a dip in the creek. We hunted for over 2 hrs and I was
wipped.

Nice finds, love the plane and car. It dosn't get any better than that in a 1/2 hr.

HH, Ringfinder

Thanks.. yes, I was fortunate for sure. Hoping for some old silver but the relic finds were very nice indeed. Well, it might have been 45 minutes... about a 1/2 hour, I didn't time it. I only hunted a 20 x 50 foot area.
Best of luck to you my friend there in Ohio. I was there in Dayton on business last week in fact.

Smiles!
BDoo
 
I went out yesterday to a private athletic field where the owner claims it hasn't been hunted. The temp was only in the mid 80s but it was all in direct sunlight. I about had a melt down and couldn't see for all the sweat running down into my eyes and glasses. I looked under my hat but no cabbage leaf, just my old hair thinning noggin! When I was a kid Mom always said I got so dirty I could grow a cabbage patch but I never did. She also said I wouldn't amount to a hill of beans, but I fooled her. Here I am, a hill of beans! Mom's don't know everything, but almost! Monty
 
Hey Monty and Art.
Thanks for taking time to look and comment!!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
fleamistress said:
Somebody please straighten me out: Wasn't it like 3 weeks ago we were whining about snow?

Cyn

Hi Cyn

Ain't it the truth. I guess we need to be complaining about something. Personally, I hate winter, expecially because of the heavy snow and frozen ground... no TH'ing.

Yeah for summer!!!!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
Nothing Like Winter In The Deep South For Relic Hunting, Plus I Am Retiring In Sept. Can Hardly Wait. trk5capt...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom