What's new

Merc & Unknown Coin

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2014
Messages
10,082
Reaction score
17,067
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Todd Lipe lined us up on a spectacular looking old site on Saturday. Smittyman, Todd and I set out so early on Saturday morning, that it was still Friday night! The place was awesome, however, the finds were minimal. It was apparent that the place had been hunted.

I was able to scratch up a 1923 Merc, which had obviously been buried in the gravel driveway for quite some time. I also dug this aluminum coin. It's dated 194x and says "Franca" on it. I put forth a half hearted effort to ID it, but gave up. Anyone recognize it?

Of course I dug some clad and a few Wheaties, and lots of assorted trash... but the real treasure of the day was getting to spend time with two of the nicest guys I know!

Thanks for looking, and best of luck on your hunts!

UPDATE: The coin is from Reunion, it is the island that the piece of the Malaysian airliner just washed up onto. I had never heard of the place before that.

ALSO NOTE: Both of these coins have a "winged hat" on them. The Reunion coin is corroded away, but has on the "Mercury" hat nonetheless!

Lots of coincidences going on...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150803_184801_327-1.webp
    IMG_20150803_184801_327-1.webp
    343.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20150803_184823_530-1.webp
    IMG_20150803_184823_530-1.webp
    355.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Upvote 32
Very cool buddy!
 
Like those old worn mercs! They have seen some traveling through time!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom