What's new

Metal Detecting 101 by National Geographic

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
19,212
Reaction score
12,627
Golden Thread
1
Location
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing this. I think all of our outraged emails, letters and phone calls to National Geographic had a tremendous effect in getting them and their show "Diggers" to rethink their approach. While I still think "Diggers" does not represent me - or our hobby in the best light, this is a step forward in Nat Geo's attempt to do it right.
 
I thought they were sorta balanced in this article. Though they are for profit and considering they use many sources in an issue or show and not all are archeologist or experts in their field. What gets me is the Government allows thousand of ancient sites to be covered with concrete because as the Archeologist say there is nothing new to be gained in the site. I see it happen all the time. And they want to talk about context? It is a shame the guys on the show are not as knowledgeable as some of our hunters. They would blow archeologist away with knowledge on specific items.

It is why we have Archeologist on this web site all the time gathering information. They are crazy to not use our knowledge. And they use us as a tool and reference. So in a way we are helping them they just do not admit it.
 
It was a nice article, and articulated both sides of the coin, so to speak.

I, along with lots of other hobbyists, would love an opportunity to contribute to the archaeologist quest. I would enjoy helping them, just for the joy of a great find. All they need to do is ask.

I've help a lot of people on the beach get everything from earrings to cell phones back. Just for the fun of it.

What would be nice is a show produced like Dual Survival. It shows all the aspects of the subject, in a professional and entertaining manner. My wife and I, along with our parrot, would love to travel the country in our 5th wheel digging in neat places. Heck, we would even go some places in our sailboat. We would happily meet and greet all kinds of folks and show a cross section of our country that viewers would find interesting. Up front- professionally edited- interesting finds. No YAAA Baby war yelps, scripted scenes or planted stuff. Successes and failures alike.

If not me- then someone~ anyone.... please!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom