What's new

Metal Detecting ban gets some attention

Here is the comment I left,
Hope it was close enough to the point....

I think personally that the Metal should band together and make the whole council think about it.
Oh by the way, the next time the city police want help finding something they need to go see Mr Jim Cox. MDers shouldn't be asked to do something illegal like metal detect.

I hope the sarcasm was dripping enough.
Thom
 
I usually agree with you Tom...but an isolated case of an archie on a beach is a little different than a dog cop in a small town that snoops around constantly.

You are right...don't ask, don't tell...just like the military turnig their eyes to something that really isnt a problem until someone jumps up and down and starts yelling.

Now they got a watchful dog cop, code enforcer on the loose and he knows that there was one violation and may well be others so he'll be vigilant for a while. I don't think that will blow over so easily in a town that has a visable park...unless done at a time of day that the guards are off duty.

I never ask an obviously public area, park...what-not. My taxes pay for upkeep and I'm entitled to use the facilities in an undestructive, responsible manor.

When they tell me I no longer need to pay taxes and ban me from the parks...I'll hang up my detector....but not until then.

Al
 
I would not bother "asking" for permission. They would need to stop me from doing it and then they would be in for a legal fight.
Dan
 
I have to agree with the statement:

I never ask an obviously public area, park...what-not. My taxes pay for upkeep and I'm entitled to use the facilities in an undestructive, responsible manor.


As stated before, asking questions will, most likely get you a NO reply. This debate can go on and on but this is just an example of when trying to do the right thing can back fire on you.

Personally, I have researched the County records and did not see anything where I can not MD. If someone objects to my hobby and can point out the regulation prohibiting it, I will abide by the regulation. Until then Happy Hunting.

Ray S
 
Whats that saying? "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission"
It's sad that we try to do the right thing and we get slammed.
 
But what about the Children!? Even if you fill in your holes they still might slip and fall from the loose dirt/plug! :tongue3: Sorry, tried to add some humor to a serious topic.

Some good reading, comments, counter opinions, etc.

It has been my experience that most of the time we have been kicked out of a place it is because of some lady was concerned about the holes they perceived we were leaving for the kids to trip on and break their necks. I'm not really mad at them because they are ignorant. They need an education.
 
I'm sorry, but, after reading this thread over and over, the system makes us sound like children - mommy, may I go play in the park with my metal detector?

I don't believe people are worried about "little Bobby" tripping in a hole. People want to control what you do, and if we are not participating in the same things they do, then, obviously, we shouldn't be doing it - it's THEIR park (blah, blah, blah - unfortunately, they figure there is more of them then there are of us md-ers.

Arrrggh! I don't want to ask for forgiveness, either.

B
 
I just e-mailed the parks and rec department in Overland Park, KS. The text of my e-mail is as follows:

I would like to voice my opinion on the recent ban on metal detecting in the parks. I have enjoyed this hobby for the last seven years and have found many things in the park. Obviously, I would like to find coins and other objects of interest, but I also find many items of (potentially dangerous) trash that others leave behind. In my quest for the things I want, I also take care to remove glass, nails, pull tabs, and other sharp objects I may find. Besides this, all the "holes" that I dig are very small and carefully dug so that I can refill them and replace the plug of grass in such a way that it will continue to grow. In other words, my hobby is less damaging to the turf than a large family reunion.

Please rethink this ban on metal detecting.


I definitely agree with Tom_in_CA that people should not ask to detect in public places. Always, always, always ask on private land, but never, never, never ask on public land. If it is not a law, don't risk making it one!

dt
 
Just as a followup here. I don't want people to get the idea that I am advocating MD'ing where it is illegal to do so such as national parks, historic places and whatnot, I just don't like to see laws enacted that restrict detecting where there is no reason to do so.

dt
 
The only way they can get away with stuff is when they quickly just do it and then no one fights against it. If we fight against it it can be reversed. Its when they do things under our noses and we don't fight about it that we usually can't do anything about it. Punch a bully in the nose and he more than likely won't bully you around anymore, he'll go find someone else who will just take his crap.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom